We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

We want to go to the papal audience on November 21st. Does anyone know if it's at 10:30 or 11:00 (I have conflicting info)?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Wednesday audiences are at 10:30

Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

chandler

"The Papal Audience is held on Wednesday mornings at 10:00 or 10:30, subject to the Pope's schedule. Due to increased airport-style security we strongly urge you to arrive at St. Peter's Square by 8 am".

This is the the information that I am using for judging my time of arrival. We attended a Papal audience in November, four years ago and got there early -- I would say by 8:30 a.m. We were able to seat ourselves nicely toward the front and on the aisle. Our plan is to do the same year. I would say to plan for a 10:00 a.m. start and you'll only be allowing enough time to enjoy a nice seat. Enjoy your time in Rome. I will be there for an earlier November Papal audience.

P

Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Thanks Solo Roma

I saw your post after I had posted. As I was called away during the composition of my message, my information seems not quite as accurate. I will be relying on your information. Thank you

P

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

You make a good point that I omitted; if you want an actual seat you should arrive early indeed!

Also note, you do not have to pass security to get into the piazza, only show your ticket. The "airport type security" is for entering St. Peter's Basilica.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

SoloRoma, sorry but I have to correct the info above. People attending the audience must pass through security (metal detector control). We don't want that another pope shot, please!

Ciao Daniela

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Oh dear, since when?

Are you saying that when the audience is held in the piazza, people can no longer enter from the east (widest) end, but must line up to the security station on the right of the basilica, where they normally line up to enter the basilica on other days of the week? To further clarify; you're saying that people must enter at the security point, right of the church, then funnel back into the square from that location, closest to the papal canopy, rather than entering from the more open, east end of the piazza?

The last time I brought someone to an audience was in April and we simply entered the square by presenting the ticket to the guards, as I have always done, so I, too, would really very much appreciate knowing what the updated procedure is. I surely don't want to give incorrect information!!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

SoloRoma, it sounds very strange to me that last year you did not pass through the metal detectors! They are located under the colonnade, to the right and left sides of the basilica. The right one is where the Bronze Door is; people can line up along via di porta angelica or at the beginning of the right side hand of the colonnade. For the left one you have to circumnavigate the colonnade and lead to Sant'Uffizio Gate (less crowded normally!)

Ciao Daniela

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Of course, of course, the security station is not new! Maybe we have a communication problem.

I am only refering to going through them to get into the piazza for a Wednesday papal audience. Mi riferisco ai udienze papale solamente. Last time I attended one was THIS YEAR, not last year.

Chandler, I'm sorry that I do not know for sure whether you have to pass the security for Wednesday audience, but I will check it out again when I'm back in town November.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Ooops, I forgot to add that I would trust Roma70 on this as she really knows the Vatican procedures very well. And, also, my thanks to Roma70 for trying to explain what is not quite clear to me. I'm sure I'll understand once I go in person.

Ciao tutti

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Papal audience - 10:30 or 11:00

Chandler,

Now there is a security check with metal detectors whenever the Pope is holding a General Audience or presiding at a Papal Mass.

This was true in 2004 at all the Easter Masses with Pope John Paul as well as the General Audience that week..

It was also true in 2007 when Pope Benedict presided at the Papal Mass at St. John Lateran's during Easter Week.

You need to arrive very early to get in line for the metal detectors if you want to get a good seat.

Martha