We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

We will be going in 2 weeks to Rome and the following Sunday The vaticans museums are free......Is it a good idea to be there before it opens at 9:00 am , how early, is it worse at that time? Also, we want to do the Castelli Rom. region....is it easy to visit Frascatti and Neri by Bus as a one day trip? We wnated to do Capri, but it has become too expensive. Is Neri worth it or should I do another one or spend more time in Frascatti...any suggeston will be greatly appreciated....THANKS

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

We are going to be in Rome from Thursday to Tuesday morning...is that too many days? We have then 2 nights in Florence, 2 in Chianti region and 2 in Venice.....

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

The only Sunday (the last Sunday of the month) when the Vatican Museums are open, they are also free. That day is much more crowded than other days. I would rather pay admission to have a less crowded visit. I suggest you go another day, and in the afternoon.

You also asked if Thursday to Tuesday was too many days for Rome. I've been to Rome many times, more than I can count, and I still haven't seen all I would like to see there. In fact, my list keeps getting longer, because I keep learning of new things I'd like to see. However, everyone's taste is different. There are many day trip possibilities from Rome if you get tired of the city itself. Others would be Orvieto, or Assisi.

If you are interested in ancient Rome, an interesting half-day trip would be to Ostia Antica, the ancient Roman port city, and very well preserved. You could also spend a day taking the Archeobus tour south of the city to see one of the catacombs, an ancient Roman circus, some large tombs, a section of the ancient Roman road, and an aqueduct.

Capri would be very iffy weather-wise in November, if that's any consolation.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
86 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

Thank You...sounds like a plan...I never get tired of Rome myself....and I though the Trevi Fountain was a hoax ! Ostia Antica sounds good.....but i also wanted to see any town in the Castelli Rom. area.......I guess I should say SO MANY PLACES ,SO LITTLE TIME instead......

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

There is train service to some of the Castelli Romani. There is none to Nemi, but there is to Frascati and Castel Gandolfo.

In summer, Romans flock to the Castelli Romani for Sunday lunch. I'm not sure they do it as much in the winter.

5. Re: Vatican Museum? Castelli Romani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 06:19