We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Well, here we are... back home after two weeks in Rome (including a two day side trip to Orvieto) and we had a great time. We did many of the things we wanted though many others will have to wait 'til next time. We averaged a little over 9 miles a day walking and used the Metro, trains, buses and cabs. We celebrated my dear wife's birthday and our 20th anniversary... made new friends, received TWO pairs of paper pants... We bought souvenirs and gifts for folks back home and managed it all with carry on baggage.

Within this thread I'll talk about a lot of things we noticed about Rome on this trip (our 5th to the Eternal City)... some concerns and cares, but mostly about joy and beauty of this vibrant city.

Today I need to deal with client demands and jet lag, but over the next days, as pictures are sorted and I have time to post, I will share our trip with all of you who helped me plan it. Let me again thank you all for your help in making this trip to Rome very, very special!

:-)'

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

CONCLUSION…

I have to admit that I really don’t want to write this last installment. As much as anything it’s because it means that the trip is really, truly over.

Rome is a fantastic place and I think I’ll always enjoy it, no matter how many times we return. On this trip it was the personal connections we made and friendships revisited that we’ll remember best.

We had the privilege of meeting some great folks from this forum and I’d encourage everyone to try and meet in Rome with friends they’ve made here. We also had the pleasure of having coffee, and talking about the travel industry with our friend Guglielmo of Roman Reference while we were in Rome. He treated us to cappuccino at Bar delle Pace (which was the best coffee we had on this visit).

In an unexpected surprise, as we approached the Locondo del Tempio on V.d. Pietro, we recognized our favorite waiter, Tareq, from our visit 5 years ago. Tareq is an Egyptian who spends 7 months a year away from his family waiting tables in Rome and Dublin. As I came up to and greeted him by name he returned the compliment by remembering us immediately and saying “Hello, my best friends from Philadelphia… you’re back, you’re back in Rome!”

We took a table in his section and he told all the tables around us that we had come back to see him again after 5 years. As you might imagine, this started conversations with all the surrounding tables and we found (not surprisingly) that many people there had been back more than once to Loncondo del Tempio to have Tareq’s company during their meals.

With that story I’ll just wish all of you who go to Rome the most wonderful trip. To embrace that chaotic, noisy, beautiful, fascinating place with an open heart and make it yours. Thanks, once again, for reading all this!

Mike/EC1

LINKS to SLIDESHOW MOVIES

This is my first attempt at making slideshow movies… they are pretty basic but I sure had fun making them. Debby took the vast majority of these photographs on her new digital camera and I think she did a nice job! They are pretty big files so I don’t know how they’ll work for folks with slower connections but they work just fine on cable modem. I won’t leave these up past December so if you’re interested don’t dilly-dally.

The BIG Rome Slideshow

http://tinyurl.com/yswwpj

Orvieto

http://tinyurl.com/29wca8

Cottage of the Owls and the Coppede District

http://tinyurl.com/24fxaa

Aqueducts

http://tinyurl.com/2xfnbm

Birds of Rome

http://tinyurl.com/yvqwvg

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Bravo! Especially loved your bit about the obnoxious clackers.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Well done EC.

I recently updated to a new camera that films videos, so already I'm anticipating making videos on my next trip to Italy (next April) and uploading them onto YouTube.

You saw an interesting section of the Aqueducts that I missed somehow.

By the way, I think it's art nouveau (rather than art deco) in the quartiere coppede. In case you care.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
74. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Thanks for the comments!

jjkdc... thanks for catching that! There's so much to learn and I've still got a long way to go, LOL!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
75. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

I see a guide book in your future! I recently met Vince Papale, another PA great, but, with no disrespect to that lovely man, you far excel as an ambassador to the Italian cultural experience. Bravo.

Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
54 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Really enjoyed your trip report and would love to see the pictures but can't access them from the posted URL. We were in Rome at the same time and were supposed to go to the TA Roll Call at Fiddlers but couldn't get a cab--everyone said "No. Demonstration."

We found out the hard way what that meant when we tried to get across town the next night for a dinner reservation. Determined to make it, we got off the bus when it could go no further and thought we could walk through the crowd and pick up some transportation on the other side, but found ourselves in a huge crowd near the Coliseum that we couldn't get past. Don't you just love Rome? When we've been in the past we've gone with almost no plan and just enjoyed being there. This time I had some "missed opportunities" that I was trying to catch but ended up being able to do few of them. Top on my list was Villa Borghese, which just happened to be closed exactly the days we were in Rome. I had done extensive research on restaurants but either didn't get to them or didn't like the ones we did get to. Next time, NO PLAN.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

your photos and music are just incredible !!!! ty very much for sharing, i am feeling really "rome" sick now,

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

SoloRoma,

You are too generous, thank you.

Laura,

Itineraries are built to be broken... I thought I was going to do many things this trip that will just have to wait until next time.

j3d,

Glad you could open the link... it appears to be quite selective as to who it allows to view it. :-)

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
512 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
79. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

Hey Mike- well, I cannot see your photos! This is completely anecceptable!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Back from Rome Oct 2 - Oct 16

no, that won't do Eleni...

Does it bog down or time out? If so that's probably due to the file size...

Let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to repost a lower resolution/smaller file size version.