We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I know this has happened often. The Trenitalia site will not take me credit card. I get to the Verified by Visa part and the card is denied. We only have one VISA so I need it to take it. I've talked to card people -- they say it should be okay.

Has anyone been able to rectify this -- I want to do it ahead of time to get the Amica fare ( I believe these are limited) so I can save Euros. Any input, please...................

Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

Well, as you've probably realized if you've searched through these forums, you're not alone in your frustration with the Trenitalia site. I had the same problem when trying to use my Visa card - it seems that this site is flagged by US credit card companies for some reason and transactions won't go through without prior approval.

My advice would be to try again during regular business hours while you have a Visa or bank rep on the phone as you're entering your card info - they should be able to approve it as it's happening. Alternatively, you might want to try making your reservations through a third party site (I like seat61.com), though I'm not sure whether you'll be able to get the special fares you mentioned.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Chicago
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I feel your pain. I am trying to do the same and buy ahead of time to take advantage of the Amica fare and have tried three different cards (Amex, MasterCard and Visa) and have received the same message for each. And to add to the Trenitalia headache, once you enter credit card information 4 times, it locks you out and you have to wait 24 hours before you can try again.

I am going to try site61 per the other poster's recommendation and if that doesn't work I am going to resort to calling the hotel we're staying at to see if they can assist with the booking.

Good luck, and if you find a solution please share.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I understand how you feel. I had EXACTLY the same situation. It is so frustrating and seems so cruel that you can see the cheap fares but you just can't buy them.

Things to try

1. Allow pop ups. This has something to do with Verify by Visa I think. As my card doesn't have this it made no difference to me.

2. Call your bank before, during and after your attempts. I tried with both Visa and Mastercard numerous times over several days and both my banks said that as far as they were concerned there hadn't even been an attempt at a transaction and they certainly weren't the ones denying it. The denied message appeared very quickly on the Trenitalia web page. When it finally was accepted it took much longer.

3. Someone commented that they had been sucessful after changing their Verify by Visa password? As my cards don't have this I have no idea what that involves....

4. Try the transaction during working hours in Italy not in the middle of the night.

5. Try AMEX. Sorry I know that doesn't help if you don't have a card but when I was seaching I noticed that a lot of people who were sucessful had used AMEX and a lot of people who had problems spoke about Verify by Visa. I finally remembered an old AMEX card that I had never used. I called and comfirmed that it was still valid and requested that they allow my 180Euro transaction with Trenitalia and then it was accepted.

6. Just keep trying. Quite a number of people said that they just kept trying and for no apparent reason it suddenly worked.

7. If there is more than one person travelling register again in the other person's name and a new email address and try with their credit card. This might be useful if you are getting locked out of the site. I read about being locked out but it didn't happen to me despite my numerous futile attempts.

8. Keep smiling and when it all seems too much just think that soon you will be in Italy.

9. Pray that Trenitalia improves it's website before your next trip to Italy!!

10. If all else fails either buy the tickets when you arrive or from somewhere else. This will of course be more expensive but you will have tickets.

11. Post back and let us know what happened. Your experience might help someone else. If you haven't searched (although it sounds like you have) I had a thread about a week ago about my experiences.

I hope that some of my suggestions are helpful and that you are one of the lucky ones.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

Had the same problem when I tried the website. Gave up, purchased my ticekts upon arrival and just spent two wonderful weeks in Italy. At my first desitination, I went to the train station and purchased certain tickets - those days that I wanted certain tickets and needed reservations to ensure our family of four could sit together. It was so much less hastle than doing it via the website. Tickets are cheap, and kids (if you travel with them) are half price. Had no problem getting four seats together on trains. Traveled 2nd class the whole way, was very nice. If possible, I'd just buy in advance when you get there. Oh - got to enjoy a wonderful train strike in Rome on our trip. We still got to our destination, but with minor adjustments. Seems no big deal to them, and so we just went with it and ended up having one of our best days in Italy.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I've just got off the phone with the Italian roailroad. They say they're having a problem with international credit card transactions. They couldn't tell me when the problem would be fixed. Even though I live in Italy, I have a US credit card, in addition to the Italian one, and I haven't been able to use it lately to buy tickets from trenitalia. I was able to establish that Verified by Visa *did* approve the transactions, but the Trenitalia system sees them as rejected.

I also gave them a piece of my mind, Italian fashion, while reassuring the guy in the call center that I knew it wasn't his fault.

Grand Rapids, MN
Level Contributor
322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I also spoke with Verified by Visa today and they assured me it was not them canceling the transaction. I hope they can fix their site soon as I really would like to purchase cheaper tickets earlier.

I'm glad to know that it isn't just me!!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I struggled with Trenitalia back in March and April and finally gave up. As soon as I got to FCO, I purchased all my train tickets for my entire trip at the Trenitalia office. I waited for about 5 minutes in line, handed a list of trains/dates and 5 minutes later I had them.

Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

bvlenci & others.. I thank you very much for all of the posts I have been reading from you lately. Very helpful.

I have been having the exact trouble I read here with Trentalia, problem is, these posts are 2007 and we are now in 2009 & the problem is still happening...any answers?? so I can pre book my tickets before I leave Australia? How frustrating!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

Trenitalia has not fixed the problem and may never fix the problem. Tourists with foreign credit cards are a drop in the bucket for them.

Also, there is no earthly reason to buy tickets online before leaving home. Trains are frequent and almost never sell out, and besides, if you buy a ticket that includes a seat reservation and miss or want to change a train, it's a hassle.

The advance-purchase discounts sound good, but when you read all the limiting conditions, they become less appealing.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me - Trentalia site WILL drive me crazy

I concur with Zerlina -

I traveled with my family (four of us), and I was very worried we would not get to sit together, get the train we wanted, etc.

I found traveling in Italy a breeze. Once we got in to our first city, I went to the train station and bought tickets for the next two train rides we wanted. Then while at a train station after one of the train rides, I would then purchas two more dates/times/cities - train tickets. It was very easy, talking to a clerk was much better than trying to do this on-line thing, etc.

Not once did we have an issue with getting a train that we had wanted. I'd wait until you get to your first city, then have a list of the exact dates/times/cities you want to go to and just go to a ticket window and buy them.

Now, we didn't do any overnight trains, and that may be a different story -maybe the book early? If so, I'd pay the higher cost and use a travel agent in your city if that is going to be a problem for you.