We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii

I am taking my wife and 1yr old son to Rome in August. I would like to go to Pompeii. Can you easily get a train from Rome to Pompeii?. I would prefer travelling by train rather than bus/coach as it would be more comfortable for my son. Is it possible to do this in one day?

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii

You have to take a train from Rome to Naples

( www.trenitalia.com) and then a local train called Circumvesuviana from Naples station direct to Pompei, there is a train about every 20 minutes.

It is possible to do this in one day.

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii

J30 - Thanks for the information

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii

You can do the train routine, but you will have to change trains. Let me suggest that you consider the bus with www.enjoyrome.com. They offer a 55euro round trip bus direct with no diversion to the cameo factories as other companies do. This price does not include admission (10 euro) but we went in a mini bus with large windows and were extremely comfortable.

They also arrive back in Rome at 6:00 p.m., which might be an advantage with a little one. Service with the company was outstanding and I would recommend them to anyone!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii

A contrarian view:

Pompeii covers a considerable area, has few facilities inside the ruins, and is relatively difficult walking due to the uneven ancient pavement. We found it interesting but less so than other ancient sites. After an hour or so, one block started to look alike another. Two hours would have been plenty for us. A full day there may be quite tedious with a one year-old, especially in the August heat.

If you were in Naples or Amalfi, it shouldn't be missed but I don't know that I'd recommend Pompeii as a day trip destination all the way from Rome unless your a true Pompeii buff.

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii

I had checked enjoyrome yesterday but could only see tours in 100Eur including Naples and Sorrento. I have found the 55Eur on today after a recheck. As for the heat in August, being Irish I always forget other countries can actually be hot in summer

sue
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii

thegrant - where did you see the one for 55 euro, couldn't find it either?

Belfast
Level Contributor
570 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii

Scroll down the page a bit. On the right hand side there is a click here for our new Pompeii shuttle tour picture link. Beside the 'what we do' section Its in there.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii

Thegrant; I agree with DWPC, you're mad to go to Naples with a one year old for the day. Get to Porta San Paolo /Piramide /Ostiense and from there take the train to Ostia Antica which will be much less tiring in the heat. August in Rome is HOT.

It is possibile to do the journey down to Naples in a day but that doesn't mean it is good. I always stayed with in-laws when we went down and that was travelling by car and knowing where we were going. Don't kill yourself!

Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii

Well, close - the link for the shuttle tour is on the left hand side of the page. You can actually reserve a space before you go by faxing them and sending a credit card number. They will send you a confirmation and in our case, since we had such a large group going, they picked us up at our hotel. The day prior to the trip, they faxed us the driver's name and phone number. It was the easiest, most professionally handled part of our trip. For those who are interested, enjoyrome employs english speakers (I spoke with Natasha at the company and she sounded British). No worries about potential language misunderstandings.

Mind you, this trip isn't for everyone. No day trip to Pompeii allows you to cover all of what you need to cover, however, for those who just want to say that they spent some time there, this is the most practical and economical way to go.

sue
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
219 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii

Thanks, I found it..