We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
82 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

We leave for Italy in 3 days, and we're so excited! Many thanks to all the wonderful TA reviews and posts.

We have a scavi tour booked for 1:45pm on a Saturday, the 17th. Well, I'd like to book the RomeMuseum Skip the Line 3 hour Vatican/Sistine Tour. That tour asks you to report at 9:30AM, and I"m assuming it starts at 10AM. I'd like to book it on the same day as the Scavi tour. Since it's a 3 hour tour, we'd be cutting it very close to our Scavi Tour.

Question to experts, is this (1) wise to do both on the same day. (2) what is the distance from the Vatican to the Scavi tour meeting place.

Thanks again!

TopBike Rental & Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, Day Trips
Stefano's RomeCabs
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

Is it wise to do both on the same day? Depends on your stamina and your schedule. How many days will you be in Rome and how many times do you want to come back to the Vatican area? If this is the only day you have for the Vatican, then by all means do them both. Are you going to try to see St. Peter's Basilica at some point on this same day? The Scavi tour will be over by 3pm, so you could visit St. Peter's after that, if you wanted and weren't too tired.

The distance from the Vatican Museum to the Scavi meeting place is a 15 minute brisk walk, I would estimate. However, there is a door in the Sistine Chapel ( which should be at the end of your tour) that exits into St. Peter's Basilica, so I would take that and then exit the church, walk across the square and then back to the Swiss guards. This is a shortcut that should save you a few minutes. If your tour ends at 1pm, you will have plenty of time to get to the Scavi for a 1:45pm. But, what about lunch??

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

Hello,

I would do both tours on the same day. The vatican tour won't tire you out so much that you can't do the scavi tour, which in turn, won't tire you out that much either. It will save you a lot of travel time if you do both on the same day. The vatican tour will move at a slow pace and will touch on the most popular rooms. These are the most crowded rooms and the going will be slow.

After you exit the vatican (after the tour) you will be in St. Peter's square. Just go to the far side where the Swiss guards are and give them your confirmation email. They will let you in for the scavi tour. It will take less than 10 minutes to walk the distance. After the scavi tour you can go into the basillica. This way you won't have to make the trip back out to the Vatican unless you want to.

Donna

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
82 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

All, good advice! Then I will sign up for the tour!

Has anyone heard of that special after hours $250 tour with Italy with Us? Is that really worth it?

4. Re: Advice Please: Vatican Tour and Scavi Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 09:26