We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling TravelKids

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Calling TravelKids

Hey there! I've found your posts regarding Rome most helpful and we've booked at Hotel Portoghesi in July based mostly on your recommendation, and also their website looks great. This is our first trip to Rome. How old were your kids on your trips? Any recommendations? We have two daughters, 14 and 11. I did look into the apartments where you are staying this summer, but couldn't tell if they have A/C. Also, for our first trip, I thought we'd be better off in a hotel with staff to handle our MANY questions. When will you be there? We're in Rome July 11-15.

sandiego
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling TravelKids

calkat

we just got back from 10 days in italy. 3 days in rome,2 in sangimignano,2 in florence and 3 in venice. with our three daughters.

i would be happy to try answer any questions you may have.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
338 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling TravelKids

ubud--we have 2 full days in Venice. I'm planning one for secret itinerary tour and walking around/getting lost/ride gondola, and the other for trip out to Murano. We have 3 full days in Rome--one for ancient Rome and Basilica San Clemente, one for Vatican/Sistine Chapel/St. Peters, and one for Borghese Gallery and anything else they think sounds good. I want to leave plenty of time for wandering, shopping and just getting the flavor of the cities. Sound reasonable? Recommendations for good places to eat that your kids enjoyed?

New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling TravelKids

Try these two places below they are about a 5 or 10 minute walk west of the Piazza Navona and are very friendly to familys. Another tip is there is a great fully stocked super market for picking up picnic and other sundrie items on the via Guistiana just west of the Pantheon.

Da Baffetto

Via del Governo Vecchio, 114, Phone: 06.68.61.617

The most amazing Pizza get there before 7:30 or wait for 20 minutes in line. It is worth it. Its fun loud and crowded.

Ristorante Antica Taverna

Via Monte Giordano, 12.

Our first time there, after dinner the owner gave us an after dinner drink and then took our kid back to the kitchen to help make her desert. Excellent food and affordable

New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling TravelKids

We stayed in Portoghesi in April 2001 my kids were 5 and 3. Our room was small but the kids were little so they didnt mind and also we didnt spend much time in there. Our friends stayed in a suite and it was very nice. I just love the location, the barbershop right in front of the hotel is the oldest in Rome and it was feature in an issue of the Town & Country magazine. You can walk to most of the attractions. Also if you walk to right of the hotel there is also a good restaurant, the pizza guy let my kids play with the dough for a while and pretend they were making pizza. I forgot the name of the place but it was just down the street from the hotel. The apartment Residenza Teatro Pace where we are staying this summer has A/C, I had to asked before I booked it. I will be in Rome July 23-27, July 11-15 we will be in Amalfi. Upstairs from the apartment is Hotel Teatropace, it has decent reviews except that they dont have elevators and for some that would be a problem. Hope you find Portoghesi comfortable and adequate. The area is by far the most quaint and you really get the feel for Old Rome. I hope you fall in love with Rome the way I did. CIAO