We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec 12th for 3 nights

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Dec 12th for 3 nights

Hi everyone...I must be insane, but I'm booking one last trip to maintain my elite status on Continental. Price to mileage, I've narrowed it down to 3 locations for 3 nights.

Rome

Athens

Honolulu

I'm a single 32yr old male and I've always wanted to visit Rome or anywhere different, but being that it's winter....Will it be way too cold to tour around on foot?

Maybe some of you can help me make my decision by tomorrow. I'd like a nice place to stay..doesn't have to be 5star, but nice...I"m not a backpacker tourist.....I look forward to the recommendations while I spend some time sifting through all the info on this forum.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec 12th for 3 nights

Rome isn't as cold as New Jersey. It rarely snows there and doesn't often go below freezing. It can be chilly and damp, or windy (like today), but it often has pleasant warm-jacket type of weather even in winter. When it's windy, it's often fairly warm, because the wind is usually coming from the Sahara.

I love Rome and I also like Honolulu, but it's almost impossible to compare the two. It's an entirely different type of vacation. What kinds of things do you like to do on vacation?

I've never been to Athens, but I've heard that it's not got much ancient atmosphere aside from the Parthenon and that the modern city is pretty ugly. The people I know who have enjoyed Greece have mostly visited the islands, but that doesn't sound like a good idea in winter.

I can't really suggest a hotel unless you're more specific about your budget. I usually count on spending about 120 euros a night for a hotel that is nice by my standards, but that might not be nice enough by your standards. I like a clean and cozy place, for example, but I don't care if it doesn't have an elevator as long as I'm not above the third floor. I also don't need room service or a minibar, or other things of that nature.

Three nights is really just two full days, and it seems like a long trip from NJ to any of those places for a 2-day vacation.

NJ
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec 12th for 3 nights

bvlenci..Yes, it's a long trip for just 2 solid days, but I want to keep my status with Continental because of several perks.

The reason I'm not going for an extended stay is because I just returned from 2 weeks in Acapulco, Mexico and I'm going back for 2 weeks the last week of January. I don't want to be away from work for too long. I figured 2 solid days in Rome may be enough to see the city, get my miles etc.

As for cost, I'm willing to spend up to 200 USD's per night, but being that I'm coming alone, I'd prefer to spend less. It's important to me that I have internet access for my business.

Also, how is the nightlife? I don't mind touring around all day, sitting in a cafe sipping espresso etc, but I'm late night person and especially when I'm away, I operate on virtually very little sleep. When I'm in a new city, I like not to miss anything. When I'm dead, I'll have plently of time to sleep. :-)

Rome
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec 12th for 3 nights

Hi need4speed, Just to let you know the weather at the moment is actually really mild. We have had a really nice week even some sunny days. Its has rained a bit but there is no real bitter cold here.

AS for night life.....mmmm. I guess you could try Testaccio. Its the main nightclub area of the city. There are some late night bars in the centre....which basically dont close! Some are member bars but honestly you can join on the night. It really depends on what you are into. Also the side streets off Piazza Navona have some hidden places!

Hope you have a great stay! Best of luck

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
718 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec 12th for 3 nights

Hi needs4,

I say, good for you! You aren't insane, you're just like me ;-).

I once flew to Paris for the weekend from the West coast; flew out on a Thursday (arrival Friday) and flew home on a Monday. Had a great time and I slept when I returned home :-).

I will be returning to Rome (then Florence and Venice) on December 14. I am looking forward to cooler weather, and hopefully shorter lines to some of the sites.

I am staying at Hotel Italia, on via Venezia. It's a 15 minute walk from the train station and the staff are great. I am paying 60 Euro per night for a small single room. I stayed there back in May and it's a great location - walking distance to some great sites.

http://www.hotelitaliaroma.com/en.htm

I've been to Honolulu often, it's a great place too. If you choose to visit there, I would think you would want to stay in Waikiki to be close to everything since you are there such a short time.

Good luck and have fun! - Gela

5. Re: Dec 12th for 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 10:39