We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

My family, including 3 teens, are spending a week in Rome in January. Does anyone have any tips about what kind of clothing is appropriate, particularly in terms of jeans vs. khaki type pants. What about shoes? Most importantly - outerwear. What kind of weather should we be prepared for? I'm trying to pack light and encourage my kids to do the same, but I can't decide what type of coat to bring. Any advice would be appreciated. We've never been to Europe and are seizing the chance because we got a good deal since January's not optimal touring time there. Thanks.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
714 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

mac - I have just returned from Rome, Florence, Venice = 10 days total. It was cold - probably much like you are used to in Phili (but no snow). I brought layers - which worked out well. I ended up buying better gloves. Bring what you would if you were on Holiday else where in PA.

The beauty of traveling off season is that you have virtually no crowds to the popular sites (well most). I enjoyed it very much and would not hesitate to travel off season to Italy again. Enjoy!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

Hi

For weather stats you should check out www.weatherbase.com . It should give you an idea of what to expect at least.

Regards

Gard

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

Lady GBD,

What type of clothing would you say was appropriate for touring in Rome? I know that no one will mistake us for anything but American tourists, but we don't need to be spotted a mile away. Would jeans on most days be appropriate? And what about in the evenings for dinner? We're on a tight budget, so I see us eating a lot of cheap pasta, not visiting nice restaurants, but would we need to wear chinos or khaki type pants at night? Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

In casual restaurants, many Romans will be wearing jeans. But be aware that they wear nicely fitted jeans, not baggy ones. Also, women often wear jeans tucked into dressy boots. Khakis are worn less frequently and almost not at all by women.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

If you have hats, gloves, scarves and big jackets they will be very useful for you as well here....I would recommend jeans (darker colour the better) than khaki for the time of year and for shoes ensure they are comfortable don't worry about the heels go flat.

Queensland
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

Hi we are going in January too and I have just found a ten day weather forecast that is really helpful

weather.msn.com/tenday.aspx…

Have a great trip

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

We were in Rome and Umbria/Tuscany the week before Christmas and it was very cold. We are from PA as well and I was glad I brought my long underwear!! We also had our teens with us and it was such a great trip...our motto was...OFF SEASON! We had NO crowds so it was great. And even though it was cold, we were never waiting in any lines so it was not a problem for that.

The forcast before we left was for high 40's and low 50's so I was debating my long underwear....am I glad I packed it. Brought an extra scarf and gloves while I was there. I am not sure if it was unseasonably cold or what, but it was cold. Layers is best. We did have a day or two that it was a bit warmer in the afternoon.

As far as not sticking out, I had to laugh. I realized that off season you can't help but stick out becuase there are so few tourists there!!!

I think I would suggest darker jackets. It just seemed like everyone was in black jackets. We never changed for evenings. We didn't eat fancy and actually didn't sit down much.

All in all it was an excellent trip, and well worth every penny! Speaking of pennies, they didn't go very far with the dollar....but again....SO WORTH IT!!

Good luck

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

What would you wear in Philly? That's what you should wear. Weather, as mentioned will be about the same, generally minus the snow. You will want to be well covered for walking around in the cold. No need to worry about fanciness - the Italians are real people too and they dress well, but not exactly fancy. Wear comfortable shoes (avoid white tennies though to avoid looking most like an American tourist!) and bring a comfortable jacket, but doesn't need to be full length. It's smarter to layer clothing underneath a lighter weight jacket. Plan on carrying the jacket on the plane with you instead of packing it to save space in your luggage - you can carry on a jacket and umbrella that doesn't count against your carry on limits. Check the details with your air carrier's website.

FYI - I bought some phenomenal gloves in Florence and some in Sorrento when I was there last. You might consider bringing a pair or two home as a great souvenir of your trip. They make wonderful ones there!

Ciao - LL

9. Re: What clothing to bring on a January trip to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 18:16