We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

The cost of a roundtrip for my family from Rome to Venice is about $200 more riding 2nd class Eurostar vs. IC. IC also takes about 1 hour longer each way. Any thoughts? It appears on Trenitalia that IC goes to the Mestre, but the Eurostar goes to Santa Lucia (I think a closer, preferable train station - but I've never been there). Is it a big deal/time/expense to get from Mestre to Venice, thus adding more time and money? We're trying to economize and $200 is quite a bit of money, but not sure if I don't even know about significant IC down sides.

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,948 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$411.20*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from US$123.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,601 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.50
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,802 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

There are IC trains that go to Venezia Santa Lucia as well. I f you play around with the times you will find them. PUt venezia santa lucia into the arrival box and they will show you. The main difference in the trains is the hour difference in the time it takes to get there and the fact that the ES offers food for sale on the train sooo bring food and expect it to take longer IF you want to save the money.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

I personlly would opt for the Eurostar, its faster and make less stops you will be there in under 5 hours. I had made the mistake once of taking a intercity, never again, it stops at pratically every single station and the trips seems never ending.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

The IC fare does not include a seat reservation; ES and ICPLus fares do. If you're traveling in a group, particularly in high season, buying a seat reservation for an IC train is highly recommended.

The fare from Mestre to Santa Lucia is 1 Euro and trains are frequent.

Phila, PA
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

I never even thought of the food angle.. As far as the seat reservations go, I noticed that the trenitalia web site asks for seat preferences, in terms of seat and car. Are any better than others? We are a family of 5. Also, we are going to be traveling on a Monday and a Tuesday. Would we expect the trains to be more or less crowded than weekends? we're going later this month.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,788 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

Trains are probably less crowded mid week than at weekend during non tourist periods. For long journey (Rome - Venice is around 4 hours 30 minutes) I thinkl the fastest possible train is desirable and seat reservations essential.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

While in Italy, we used both EuroStar and ICPlus. EuroStar Trains were much cleaner. Our ICPlus train smelled like a stopped up toilet. Wouldn't go that route again.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,802 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

I agree that faster is better BUT the OP wanted to save money.

meme- I am soo sorry that you had a bad experience on the IC train. I traveled on Eurostar, IC and even, (dare I say) a local regional train and all was fine. The only difference of course was time and services offered like food. I had no prob with smells/etc.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

I think the poster who travelled on an IC train that smelled like a blocked toilet was just very unlucky... or maybe I've been very lucky! I can't say I've ever travelled on a train in Italy that smelled particularly bad, and I've been on more IC trains than Eurostars, I think. One thing about the IC trains, though, is that you're a bit limited with where to put your luggage. There are decent-sized overhead racks but it's not easy to get bigger bags up there, whereas on the Eurostar you (potentially) have the option of putting suitcases between the seat backs instead. Otherwise I don't think there's much in it really...

Trains in the UK, on the other hand, frequently smell pretty bad...!! ;)

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

The Euro Star is worth every penny. It is fast, clean, and above all comfortable. As one of the locals said..The IC stops at every station along the route.

Just go to the coffee bar or the market and buy sandwiches, chips and drinks and take them on the Euro Star..they dont mind if you eat your own food.

Take the train directly to Venice. Just to walk down the steps from the station and see Venice is worth the money.

Enjoy

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eurostar vs. IC for train to Venice - worth the extra $$?

Right Vicki!

Also, on the Euro Star ,if you get on first ,you can put your luggage in the section at the beginning of every car. The Euro Star also is given the best tracks for arriving and leaving stations. Sometimes IC is given tracks that need to be reached by going up and down stairs and through tunnels.

With all many people and tons of luggage...it can be difficult. There are no baggage men and slim to none trollys.