We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trevi fountain operational hours

Whittier, California
Level Contributor
208 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trevi fountain operational hours

Hello,

I want to visit the Trevi fountain in April on an early Sunday morning, around 6:00 a.m.

I've read from someone that the fountain may not be running at that time.

Can someone tell me if this is true or if they know where I can find the operational schedule of the Trevi fountain?

Thank you in advance.

Twee

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trevi fountain operational hours

I doubt that there's an operational schedule of the Trevi Fountain available on line.

As far as I know, the fountain is only shut down during the weekly cleaning when they pick up all the coins, and I don't think that would be on a Sunday morning when the workers would have to be paid extra not only for night shift but also for holiday shift.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trevi fountain operational hours

Traveltwee,

Just for your information. Last September my friend and I decided to visit the Trevi, early, before the crowds. It was a Monday morning and when we got there (around 9:30); the water wasn't running and there were workers crawling all over the structure cleaning it. There was also a vacuum sucking all the coins out of the fountain. I must admit I was disappointed - but we stayed on watching all the activity. We started talking to a policeman there who told us the money went to charity and that the fountain was cleared every day. The money was bagged up as we stood watching and taken away in a car. As the workers all started to gather up their cleaning tools, the water suddenly started to gush - what a magical moment! And of course, because the barriers were put up stopping the public from going to the end of the fountain, as these were removed we were the first to the edge to throw in our money!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trevi fountain operational hours

I witnessed the clearing of the coins 4 early mornings, like 6:30 AM. It was just me, a police officer and one man sweeping up the coins. It was very quiet and I had the opportunity to really study the great Trevi. These mornings were very special for me. I know too that the fountain runs at least until 2 AM as I could hear it from my apartment's window, over the din of the ever present crowds of people. I loved it!

4. Re: Trevi fountain operational hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 20:22