We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Hello all.

My friend and I are planning to take a trip to Rome either in May or September of this year. She is wheelchair bound and is worried about access. I have been doing some research and found out some info but can anyone suggest attractions that would be accessable? Looking over the photos on this site I think we should be pretty ok for the most part but if anyone could provide some further info that'd be very much appreciated.

Can anyone suggest a central hotel with no steps at the entrance?

Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Here are a few resources for you:

slowtrav.com/italy/accessible/rome/index.htm

…travelocity.com/Tips/…00.html

…hotels.com/hotels-italy/…

davestravelcorner.com/journals/publish/artic…

www.globalaccessnews.com/rollinginrome03.htm

Make sure you check the dates on the articles because Rome has become more wheelchair friendly each time I have returned.

Have a great trip!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

I agree that things in Rome are improving re. wheelchair accessibility, I think many attractions are accessible, however there is a problem with sidewalks, which are often occupied by scooters, and cars parked in front of ramps, thus impeding going up and down the sidewalks. I am very ashamed to report this.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Here are two terrific Websites with good handi-accessible info:

…roma.it/accacomune/osservatorio/default.asp for handicap accessible sights and details. (the two in www2 is necessariy).

www.handyturismo.it/ is another source filled with accessible sights and info.

Briefly, the Colosseo, golden house, castel Sant'angelo, Pantheon, St. Peter's and the Vatican museums, and, I believe, the Capitoline museums are all accessible. Though you can't wheel through the forum comfortably, there is a ramp to get down there.

At termini train station there are services for disabled in the office near platform 1.

All metro stations on line B have disabled facilities except Circo Massimo, colosseo and Cavour (direction Laurentina). I don't think line A has any acessibility, but you can check that out. The bus 590 followed the same route as metro A and would be wheelchair accessible, but, again, check with the metro lines to make sure it's still running and would work for you.

Finally, you could hire a private guide to take you places. Nerone.cc is one of the best guide groups and they provide wheelchair or golf-cart tours.

Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Ah thanks a million for all the tips and links. Really appreciate it. :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

I did not check out the links that posters sent you but there was a query on this Forum a couple of weeks ago asking for similar info--so you might also do a search for that thread

on it--someone posted that if you or someone in your party uses a wheelchair, you should make sure specifically how accessible the hotel you choose is--

that while some rooms may be designed for people with special needs that actually getting into the hotel may be more difficult---steps from the street into the lobby or from the lobby to the elevator (which really seems to ignore or defeat having a special room but apparently there are those inconsistencies.)

Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

Oh right thanks Tx, will do that.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Rome Wheelchair friendly?

One more thing: www.romaturismo.it site, which is the rome tourist board site, has hotel search which includes a search for those with disabled facilities.