We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Someone living in Rome- One question?

C C
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Someone living in Rome- One question?

Last year we went to Switzerland and found Ovomaltine Crunch Cream (like chocolate peanut butter) Does any store in Rome carry this? Thanks!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Ovomaltina (that's the Italian version) is sold in Italy as well; I got it in my milk when I was a child :-)!. I never saw the peanut butter. For this kind of stuff you can try at Castroni that sells food from all over the world. The biggest store of this chain is along via cola di rienzo (close to piazza risorgimento) near the vatican.

Ciao Daniela

C C
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Thanks so much for the fast reply. That is great because we are staying at the Best Vatican and will be shopping along that street. I plan on stopping at Coin also and checking out there food- I heard it is in the basement department, is that correct?

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Also try Nutella, which is a thicker chocolate hazelnut spread like peanut butter. You can get it most grocery stores.

C C
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Yes, I found nutella when we went to Paris, and love it also and we have it here at our local grocery store, but I haven't found ovomaltine crunchy cream. So I guess if I do find it in Rome, I will pack some to bring home with me!!! Also I had some questions on wine from Italy. We will be taking a week cruise from Rome and was going to carry 2-3 bottles onboard. I drink Pinot Noir and Merlot. How will I find something I like if wines are identified from the Region they are grown? Any advise would be appreciated.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
948 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Also look for Novi Crema, a more upscale version of Nutella. Lovely on toast or in crepes!

As the owner of any enoteca about Merlot or Cabernet, although you might find you enjoy the Super Tuscans.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

austriangrocery.com/shop/product_info.php…

think you can order that online--depending on shipping charges...and it does look pretty darn good.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

The supermarket at the bottom of COIN on via Cola di Rienzo is the Standa. It doesn't have goods from around the world like Castroni (on the opposite side and 1 block up) & is a general supermarket that has a range of fresh fruit/vegetables, meats, bakery and deli for example. The Standa is open 0800 to 2000....

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Coleman, I would look for Merlot & Cabernet coming from Veneto or Friuli Venezia Giulia regions!

Ciao Daniela

C C
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I am looking forward to my trip in April! There is always good answers from fellow TA!

C C
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Someone living in Rome- One question?

Daniela, thanks for the wine suggestion and Tx native that grocery web site is awesome. I might have to take awhile and shop on there.