We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kid friendly guide in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
kid friendly guide in Rome

Hi,

We are taking out kids (13, 11, 9 & 7 at the time) to Italy in June. We are looking for kid friendly guides. I have bought SolaRoma's book, which has great tips, and we are renting a 2 bed/2 bath apt. through Rome Rents in the Campo di Fiori area.

I am thinking of booking with Context Rome as they have some kid friendly programs for the Colluseum (and also for Venice and Florence), but they strongly suggest to not take the kids through the Vatican Museums. Michael and I have been through them twice, once with a guide, so we really don't need to see the collection in detail. I really just want the kids to see the Sistene Chapel, as we will most likely never take them back (too many other places in the world to take them, and hey, 4 kids is expensive!!!).

I have read that some of you have gone really early and walked straight to the Sistene Chapel. Is there a short cut through the museum to do this? It seemed to me that the only way to get there was by going through the whole museum. I do know that if the kids had an engaging guide talking about kids stuff...like why there are naked people all over the place, the Egyptian stuff, why some naked people have "cloths" in appropriate places, etc. they would enjoy the museum a whole lot more. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jennifer Lee

NY
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

I'm in a similar boat, going over with and 11 and 13 y.o. in april for a week, The guide that I ended up purchasing for not cheap($26) is an out of print fodors called around rome with kids (2001) which I found first in our library but which is a great little book, I'm having my kids pick out a sight or two that they really want to see... it's written for them as well as us.

I'll be interested to read the other advise to your other queries! Would love to bypass to the sistine chapel too...

t

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

I don't have personal experience with this, but people rave about Angel Tours kid-friendly tours. You can look on their website and see what they offer. The tours are extremely reasonably priced as well. Their website is www.angeltoursrome.com

Enjoy!

Vicki

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

Rome With Kids by Pasquesi is the very best guide book on the market for traveling with children to Rome.

Not only has things to do and things to see but has kid friendly restaurants and hotels.

I don't know for sure but I don't think there is a short cut to the Sistine Chapel. There is a short cut once you leave. There is a door to the left that takes you outside and you can then work your way down to the Square.

The Vatican often changes routes so keep your eyes open for directions and signs.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

Actually, the shortcut door that leads to St. Peter's is at the back right of the Sistine Chapel. It says 'groups' or something, but those 'in the know' use it, too.

Just wanted to clarify that, Agatha :)

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

Hummm? I used it last year and it was on the left. Well, maybe they have 2.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

Perhaps it depends on which way you're standing :)

Yamba NSW
Level Contributor
205 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

I too am in the same boat with children 4,8,9, so will look forward to reading any other suggestions and posts....

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

Hi Vicki cara.

I got sick in the SC and inquired with the usher if he could get me out of there as soon as possible. He was kind, as the majority of Italians always are and I "thought' he opened a door to the left. I was so sick he might have opened a window and thrown me out!

To the lady with the tiny children. Dont over do it. Children get tired and hot and cross. Stop and look at the fountains, buy ice cream, in "Rome With Kids" the author has games...who can find the lion first...things like that.

The last place in Rome I would take anyone under the age of 10 is The Vatican Museum.

columbia, SC
Level Contributor
51 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

we have the same issue with younger kids, aged 8. I would be willing to pay someone to give us a tour of the Vatican museums simply to avoid the lines - but I'm not sure that my kids will endure 3 hours of relics in a hot and crowded environment (not sure that I will either, for that matter). Does anyone know of either a very kid-friendly tour or a shorter tour that might work? The "official" Vatican tour looks to be shorter than most, but I hate to take a chance on not getting a slot

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kid friendly guide in Rome

The Vatican Museum

There is a 2 hour guided tour

cost:

21.50 euros per adult

17.50 euros per child

e mail

musei@scv.va

fax

30-06 6988 5100

web site is vatican.va

You are the parents but 2 hours is like two weeks to a kid.