We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

Hi,

I'm going to Rome in a few weeks and I've been researching different companies that give guided tours to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters Square, and St Peters Basilica.

Does anyone have a good tour company that doesn't have huge tours and goes to all these places?

Also, I've debated just going without a guide, but I feel like I won't see and learn as much without a tour. For people that have been through it all on their own, would you recommend it?

Thanks,

McGarrity

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
868 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

Hi McGarrity !

i am not a tour person ..

i prefer to amble around at my own leisure discovering thing for myself ...

(some guide books don't cover the Vatican museum very well but thankfully the one i invested in was brilliant !)

i think it's all down to personal taste !

you could always hire an audio guide ?

I'm sure you'll get other comments on your question ...

i hope you have a great time whatever you decide ; )

Xxem

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

I've done the Vatican twice, first on my own & second with a guide...few thoughts:

- there is so much to see in the museums/corridors, that its nice to have a guide to explain as well as answer your questions

- 1st time in the Sistine C., I spent about 10-15 minutes trying to soak in everything; 2nd time (we had a guide who was an art/history major), we spent 50 minute learning many little known facts/etc (could have spent another 45 min, too)

We got a guide from Rome Walks...it is expensive but well worth it...have a great time!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
100 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

I ended up signing up with Angel Tours for both the Vatican and Colosseum. They were SO worth the money and very informative. Our tour guide Jimmy was wonderful and so energetic. I highly recommend them!

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

I'm so glad to read that you recommend Angel Tours since that's the company I'm thinking of going with for my trip in September. My husband and I are planning on taking the early Vatican tour and the Colosseum/Roman Forum tour with them, and the free Pantheon tour.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

I always vote for guides. I consider it a waste of time and sometimes money to stand completely lost with a guide book in one hand and amap in the other...

absolutely hire the guides!

have a great time...

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
422 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

We liked Presto Tours - and I agree with the above posts - it was great to have someone to give the history, pick the highlights, and explain everything. And of course, to me its worth the price of a tour to NOT stand in the long line. We wished we went on other tours with them as well.

http://www.prestotours.com/

knb
colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

We have visited the Vatican museums twice. The first time we did it on our own with an audio guide rented in the museum. While somewhat imformative, I felt we did not learn that much. The second time, we decided to do a tour. Granted, we did not cover the entire museum like we did the first time, however, we learned so much more. Like others on this forum, I would recommend hiring a tour guide. The museum, to say the least, can be overwhelming. Enjoy!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

Hi,

We were in Rome in April. Booked a Vatican Skip the Line tour through Viator. It was fabulous. Group had about 20 people (including my two preteens!) Our guide was great. We walked into the Vatican through a separate entrance and did not have to wait AT ALL. We had an afternoon tour (I think it was 3 pm) It last about 3 hours, we had headsets and I learned so much more than I thought. The guide was very knowledgeable and shared so many little things. It was pricey (about 60 US per person) but I'm glad we did it. Highly recommend Viator. We used them for quite a few tours that week.

Florida, USA
Level Contributor
44 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

Hi, just returned today from our trip to Italy and if this is your first time to Rome, like us, then I would definitely recommend a guided tour of the Vatican Museum.Our tour company was Presto and they did a great job and I would highly recommend them. As a note, they mentionted that the Vatican recently changed their policy and no longer allows tour companies into St Peters Basilica (unless the guide or tour company has an affiliation with the Catholic Church).

Genzano di Roma...
Level Contributor
124 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Private Tour - Is it worth it?

I agree that a guide at the vatican is worth it, and there are many tour compnaies that skip the line and have small groups of 15 or less.

Presto, Icon, Angel, just to name of few.

If you want a really indepth and very academic tour i suggest Context Tours. They are probably the highest quality, but cost more. I had a private tour with one of their guides in Paris and it was the best money I spent, besides on food!

The vatican can make you feel sensory overload, and so it is good to have a person guide you through it, otherwise, it is easy to feel overwhelmed.

I dont suggest getting on a huge tour group, though.