We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Colorado
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

I've stayed in hotels in Spain that hold you passport when you check in. Is this the norm in Rome. I am not very comfortable with the practice and I want to be prepared. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,462 Reviews
from US$81.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$409.50*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,832 Reviews
from US$60.30*
US$67.00
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,923 Reviews
from US$122.80*
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

They take it for a few minutes and record some information from it. They have to, by law. It's no big deal.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

they need the information; they don't need to keep it -- and I have had some experiences where they treat it with little consideration e.g. in Siena one time they jsut left out passports on the counter in an unattended hotel lobby -- anyone could have just walked off with them

since that time we take copies and give them copies to record the data -- or we give them our passport and then collect them within the hour --

they have to report you to the police and your passport details -- they do not need to keep them

Colorado
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

thank you. I like the photocopy idea. I had a passport stolen once and I do't want to go through getting it replaced again.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

There are larger hotels that can scan your passport electronically. From what I understand all passports must be recorded with the police. I have actually had a hotel hold my passport as well, it varies. If you are really concerned I would contact the hotel you plan to stay at and see what their procedure is.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Occasionally hotels will try to hold your passport to make sure you don't skip out without paying. I have encountered this in both Spain and Italy. I refuse to leave it with them for more than the time needed to record my data, usually an hour or so. I tell them I need it for identification. It's illegal for them to insist on holding your passport.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Australia
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Why do they need to report your details to the police?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

I have travelled through Italy almost 7 times now..my passport has always been taken @ hotel,for a few hours,then returned, without any problems. I don't know why police take info,but you will read in most guide books that this is a required procedure.On the train to Naples I was concerned,but they took passport,and returned it within hour. I do keep a photocopy of 1st page with me at all times while travelling abroad;also,my family here keeps copy-just in case!it is a major hassle to lose passport!and expen$ive to get another one.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

There is a law that anyone staying in a hotel or any other sort of temporary lodging needs to have their presence recorded. It's supposed to be a safeguard against terrorism, but the law is actually very old, and I believe many countries in Europe have a similar law.

In theory, if you go to visit your relatives in Italy, they are supposed to report your presence, but in practice no one does. However, hotels make this report every day. My husband and I volunteer at a charitable organization that has a soup kitchen and provides beds for homeless people, and they also have to report who's staying there every night.

The police to whom it is reported are not the regular municipal police (vigili) nor the carabinieri, but the questura, which is the headquarters of an administrative state police force which also does things such as issue passports and various licenses and permits.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

perhaps that branch of the police is similar to immigration/INS in the US--

do hotels in US do same thing for foreign travelers--record their passport into and report to police or INS==

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

The questura in Italy collects data on everybody staying in hotels, even Italian citizens. It's a law that's found in a lot of countries in Europe. Napoleon started the practice in Europe of registering everybody's residence at the town hall, and most of the countries where he had influence still have that system. If you move, you have to report your move and your new address to the town hall of the town you're leaving, and then you have to register with the new town hall.

When you enter the US, you're supposed to give the address where you'll be staying on the immigration form (even if you're a US citizen) but that would be only your first address if you're moving around. And nobody collects data routinely from hotels. Also, the US doesn't have any register of the residence of its citizens.