We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

I've stayed in hotels in Spain that hold you passport when you check in. Is this the norm in Rome. I am not very comfortable with the practice and I want to be prepared. Thanks.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

It's the same in France, they have to record your details.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

I may be wrong but i'm sure in Australia we don't do that, of course on the immigration form when you come in u state were you will stay at first and the only thing the hotel will normally get from you is a credit card or cash deposit so they can have assurance of you paying for the mini bar etc. What a weird custom :) Have never had to leave my passport at a hotel in the US either. So if I don't want to let my passport out of my site what happens?

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

they do take your passport...and it will be "out of sight" for a couple of hours,sometimes(more often,less time).keep a photocopy of page with your photo and passport #(don't lose it!)with you,and leave a copy with someone @ home(so it can be faxed to you in emergency,or so your passport # is available if need be).I have never had a problem ,though it often still makes me anxious.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Some hotels will be happy to record your details from the photocopy if it is a good clear copy and if they can at least see the original to make sure it's a photocopy of the same document. However, you can't insist on that, as it's their right to retain the original for the necessary time.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

regarding the copies of passports/docs when traveling--

have read several posts where people also make an electronic file of copies of passports/drivers' licenses/credit cards/ATM cards/their iteneraries with air line flight info and hotel info

also their medical coverage info and any significant health issues like medication they take w/dosages /allergies /other factors

then they email that file to themselves and to someone like a parent or friend as well..

and/or can store on on central database to retrieve as needed...

that way IF they have any of the originals stolen or lost or have medical emergency--all they need to do is get to an Internet site and they can down load/print what they need--or the person they also emailed can forward just the needed info to appropriate source...

while it is a good idea to leave copies of all important docs with someone back hone--having them send copies to you is time consuming and making a copy of a copy is usually not as desireable as copy of original for quality...

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

This problem of hotels taking and holding passports comes up every so often. Yes, hotels in Italy must get data from everybody who stays there. They do not have the right to hold your passport, they have the duty, under law, to take details from it. Never let your passport out of your sight, you are the person responsible for it and only you. Wait while they take your details, they should have no problem with that. Do not let it out of your sight. It is all you have.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

Often the person working at the desk is not the person filling in the forms. What if they can't leave the desk?

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

That's their problem, not mine. I'll hold on to my passport until they have someone who can take down my details, I will not leave it with them while they look for that someone. My job is to allow them to see my passport, it is their job to make sure they have what is needed to take down the details on it.

19. Re: Do Rome hotels hold your passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 08:18