We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how small is "a small coin"?

Hernando, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
how small is "a small coin"?

Several guide book, in their explanation of how to order coffee at a standup coffee bar, say to put a "small coin" on your receipt to get the attention of the barista. What is a small coin? A euro? A quarter euro? .10 euro? I don't want to be insulting, or worse yet make the guy laugh. All I want is to get my caffeine and cornetto quickly. Please advise...

Marianne

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

Usually people leave there change after paying, it isnt really to draw the attention of the barista, its really a tip for good service. I usually leave between 15 to 25 cents, some leave 10 to 15 there is not really a fixed amount.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

Trash those guidebooks. Nobody tips in Italy == especially if you get a quick cup of coffee standing at a bar. And honestly I've never seen anyone using a coin to attract the barman's attention. That would be weird...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

FF is absolutely correct. I've never heard of such a thing. The barista wouldn't understand the signal.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

if you are trying to "get" the barista's attention to be served in the first place, how can you put a small coin on your receipt--

that is putting the cart before the horse, surely---

United States
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

TX,

in some places you pay first, then get a receipt that you present to the barista or counter person (if it hapens to be a gelato place or non bar). They then serve you.

TAB

tuscany
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

We don't tip when we drink a coffe. We only leave a tip in restaurant or if we seat at a table in a coffee shop and we have found the service has been good

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

A small coin is 10-20 cents. You will see many locals, receipt in hand, leaving it on the counter with the small coin!

It's just a small tip for the bartender who makes the espresso for you everyday and accomplishes all your weird requests. While in the rest of Europe people ask a coffee, mean, flat coffee, here, instead, 4 people can ask 4 different kinds: long espresso in hot cup, decaffeinated with a drop of cold milk, short espresso with creamy milk.....It's just a way to repay the efforts of poor guy! Of course you are not obliged, but it's just a nice way to get rid of unuseful coins!

Ciao Daniela

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

oh--sorry

there are places like that in US as well

read that being polite when there are people crowding around to be served is not going to work in Rome--that you have to be fairly aggressive to GET to the bar

is that correct behavior--to push yourself forward?

usually in US because of computerized placing of orders as you pay--your receipt number is called and you go pick up the order..you don't have to fight to be served...

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

Often an expresso is 90 or 95 centisime so people just hand over one euro and say arrivedici. Small ccoins are often considered a pain. Ciao

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
6,826 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how small is "a small coin"?

Plus - You do have to get the server's attention, a loud buon giorno/buona sera usually works.