We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

Hello,

I am spending 3 or so days at the Hotel Paisiello Parioli soon and if anyone has any knowledge on this hotel please share it!

The thing I am worried most about is getting around, which is the easiest to use, the buses or the metro? and what is the exact procedure for doing so?

Thanks for any help!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

The easiest transportation is taxi and they really are not that expensive. The only time you might get ripped off by taxi drivers is around the Termini area. Buses are highly confusing and the metro only goes to a couple of useful places.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

We used both quite a bit. The Metro was frequent and fast and reliable, and even when the trains were crowded, it wasn't nearly as bad as a crowded bus.

Some buses ran frequently and others didn't. If I spoke better Italian I probably could have figured out which lines had frequent service. When they were late and crowded, the experience was miserable; when they weren't, they were terrific. Also, since the buses were above ground, they led us to some unexpected sights.

The Metro only has two lines, so it is easy to figure out. The buses were easy with a bus map, which you can buy at a newsstand.

We bought a weekly pass, so here is the procedure we followed.

1) Buy the pass and a newsstand or tobacco shop.

2) On the metro: as you approach the turnstile at the metro station, you will see a little card-reader slot. You pop your pass in the slot, the machine reads it, recognizes it as valid, gives you the green light to walk through the turnstile, and gives the pass back to you.

3) On the bus: there is a yellow validation box (or two?) at chest level on every bus I saw. They are not necessarily near the driver - I generally saw them at the back of the bus. You are supposed to walk up to it, pop your pass in the slot, and it gives it back to you. I'm not sure this was necessary with the weekly pass, since the expiration date was marked on it. I'm sure it would have been necessary with a daily ticket (I think I read on a bus sign that if a fare inspector catches you without a valid ticket, you pay a steep fine - was it $101 Euros?) In any case, on a really crowded bus, I gave up trying to get to the box.

I hope this helps.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

I lived in Parioli and used the 53 bus to the centre (Pza san Silvestro). The metro doesn't go as far as Parioli. I don't know the Hotel Paisiello.

The bus is easy to use, is quite frequent and the 53 isn't crowded. You can buy a daily ticket or buy a bunch of tickets, they are cheap and the cost is the same no matter how far you travel. Watch the others and do as they do, but do stamp your ticket on boarding. The bus stops will have the list of places the bus passes, from start to finish in order. It is a very good system. In all my years there the bus service was the one thing I NEVER complained about! Good luck.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro vs Buses, which is the best to use?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

I leave tonight and feel a lot more confident, I leave this evening so evrything is rush and go,

A big thankyou again, the advice in these forums are much appreciated!