We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenirs...need your help please

Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
souvenirs...need your help please

we are heading to rome in a few weeks. we are not big cheesy souvenir people (we try to just do magnets for our travels). but we would like a 'nice' souvenir from our rome trip. my sister has also requested something for her house.

any thoughts? small artwork or other household item? where would the best place to look in Rome be?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

Thats all a matter of someones taste. I was just there last fall and bought a beautiful linen hankerchief for my mother-in-law and a statue of St. Jude from the Vatican for a friend. What would be of interest for your sister?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

I have found some of the nicest "souvenirs" to be in the alleyways between the trevi fountain, pantheon and piazza novana. Yes there are plenty of tourist traps, but a little above the carts on the street. There is one unique shop of pinnocio type wood crafts, and another with crafts that seems to center around animals. There are other unique shops as well. We found more knick knack type shops off of via del corso (spelling?) as well. You can start at Piazza de Popola (spelling ? again!) and walk down. A really great idea is along via di Lorenzi or something like this near the octavia metro stop is castroni a gastronimical delight where you can pick up italian candies and things that are delicious. they have fancy type boxes from several euros on up.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

I got a set of ceramic cruets, one for oil, the other for vinegar on a tray . I use them almost daily as I developed a love for a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing on my salad while I was there. They have lots of ceramic serving pieces in pretty designs. You'll see lots of shops selling them.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

I love going to kitchen/cooking stores and buying gadgets with interesting design that are uniquely Italian.

Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

thanks for the suggestions so far. we may purchase something that would be catholic related for ourselves but probably not for my sister. i think she is looking for more of a decorative item for her home.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

There are a few branches of a store called Marmi Line (marble) which you may like. There you can find wonderful items made from Italian marble, which make great gifts, I think, because they are indicative of Italy, are elegant, but can be very affordable and even useful. Consider marble wine stoppers or soap dishes, or miniature marble obelisks and shapes of fountains you're likely to see in your touring. There are two storefronts on via dei Coronari (near Navona) and one near the Pantheon and one near the Trevi. They will gift wrap if you ask.

Level Contributor
245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

one additional question...do most of you pack and extra duffle type bag that packs down small but can be used to bring items back? that was my plan and that would probably just be a carryon on the return trip. but i guess that precludes giftwrap because i think the airport will unwrap packages if they want?

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

The Italians dont care what you have in your bags. I have found it is the US and the UK who are sticky about wrapped packages.

Georgetown
Level Contributor
422 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

While in Rome I bought several "popeners". They are bottle openers with a picture of the pope on them. My friends and kids went crazy for them and I have more requests for when I return.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
202 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: souvenirs...need your help please

Where did you find the popeners? It sounds like something my kids would love.