We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

Hi,

Could you please have a look at the itinery I have created for siteseeing in Rome and give your advice on whether this is possible to do during the Easter Weekend, (as I have since found out that this is busier and more crowded than Christmas). Many thanks!

Friday 21st March -

Flight Arrives @ 21:50pm - Fiumicino Airport

Collect bags, buy a 3 day Roma Pass at the Tobacco Store (if open), get the train to Termini Station, walk to nearby budget accommodation (Hotel Lucia), check in then collapse ready for an early start!

Saturday 22nd March -

Arrive at the Vatican very early (7:00am - 8:30am) hopefully for a guided tour direct from the Vatican (still waiting for a confirmation), St Peter's Square/Basilica, Castel Sant' Angelo (depending on time), Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

Sunday 23rd March -

Another early start arriving at the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Palatine Hill, the Colosseum and the Forum (if there is time) take a look at any other sites in the vicinty such as another museum, head back for dinner and a short rest before revisiting the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain etc at night.

Monday 24th March -

Flight Departs @ 12:50pm

Take a quick look at the Jewish Ghetto before getting the train back to the airport.

I appreciate this will not be a relaxing weekend away but with so little time I would like to cram in as much as possible for my partner's surprise birthday trip to Rome.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

It works :)

Ciao Daniela

Birmingham
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

Thank you Daniela,

I can now breathe a sigh of relief!

roma
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

2 day when you stay near colosseo, with feuw walk you arrive to "San Pietro in Vincoli" inside there's "Mosé - Michelangelo" that's wonderfull.....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

I guess I am second-guessing Dani who is the guide --but the Ghetto area is not close to Termini --

it is WEST of Colosseum along the Tiber--

will you really have time to go there w/or w/o luggage before going to Termini to get the train to airport--because you should be there by 10:30 or so to check in--right?

seems like many of the guided tours for there do an evening Ghetto walk --

since it is west of the Colosseum, you could walk through Sunday evening and eat there--supposed to be many good restaurants not that expensive---and take bus/subway back to hotel later...

this is link to NY Sun article about the Ghetto

http://www.nysun.com/article/49268

and link to RomanHomes rental site with info about strolling through the Ghetto

romanhomes.com/your_roman_vacation/quarters/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

non ti preoccupare dont worry about Fiumicino airport for your return flight. If you get there by 1.30 you will be fine. I live and work in Rome and its not a major deal - you dont really have to have that 2 hour check in.

London, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

ooops your flights is at 12.50 - get there by 11.30 not 1.30 :-)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

Thank you all so much for your help! I have a mini crisis now I hope you can help with?

The Vatican Museum got back to me today and said their tour's are fully booked up for Saturday 22nd March 2008 in the morning. Does anyone know a tour company I could go with on that day for the same price as the Vatican (29.50 EUR) and with guaranteed shorter queues pleeeeaaasssee?

I know I am asking a lot but I'm desperate to visit the Vatican!!

Arizona
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

You won't find a cheaper price than the Vatican's guided tour. You'll have to accept that.

Try www.rome-museum.com and see if there is a time open. You are really cutting it close, esp. on the busiest week of the Catholic liturgical year in Rome. This site offers both tours and "avoid the queue" tickets.

Good luck. I'll be there the following week. I hope it is less crowded...

Regards

Birmingham
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

Thank you! Fingers and toes crossed.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on my Easter Weekend Itinery Please!

I was there at Easter in 2006, however, I had been to the Vatican Museum on a previous trip. Rome is very crowded at that time, but not too bad, and the crowd is part of the excitement. There are clergy from all over the world in various 'costumes' - very interesting. The churches all seem to have some sort of 'special program' happening.

I was severely jet-lagged on Easter morning, and ended up in St Peters Square with 'pilgrims' from all over, waiting for the sun to come up, and the morning bells to sound (of course it's insane to try to stay for the mass, plus you will lose your whole day).

I always 'try' to do too much, and just let IT happen - you may not see/do everything on your list, but whatever you see/do in Rome is 'worth it'.

I love Piazza Navona at night (some 'cool' restaurants West of the square - on the square, they are expensive, but great people-watching; have dessert there instead of dinner); Pantheon any time of day (I seem to remember some issue with having different hours @ Easter - double check this - it is a 'working' church after all; the coliseum around sunset is great.

A few suggestions:

Restaurant – Da Gigetto Jewish Ghetto area – fried artichokes! Osso-bucco!

Restaurant – Ristorante L’Orso 80 – near the Piazza Navona, close to the river and the bridge that crosses @ the palace near the Vatican.

BTW, you can purchase the bus/metro pass at Termini as well as the airport - the metro closes early on Sunday, maybe even earlier on Easter.

Buon viaggio!