We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

i'm working on a daily budget for this trip especially due to the dollar decline so of course I'm thinking about meals and prices. I really enjoyed the antipasto bar last time and wished I would have visited more, I love the different varieties and they are very filling for me. Even at home, I love making a plate of little bits of different items for dinner. Can you recommend good antipasto bar's? prices? hours ? for any of these places: rome, orvieto, lucca, florence, cinque terre and siena, possibly san gimignano too,

I also like the ideal of going to a market or deli shop and getting the fixings for a picnic lunch or dinner, so any ideals about these type of places I would be very grateful for -- have read about cafeteria type places, thoughts on that??

Hernando, Florida
Level Contributor
66 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

When I was there last month, I didn't frequent any place with an antipasto bar. But I did enjoy several Osteria (cafeteria places) especially the one in Testaccio run by Volpetti (right off the corner off the main drag several doors down. The food was excellent and the prices were unbelievable. These places are good because you can see what you're getting and what it will cost before you commit yourself. They also have wine and beer. Walkaway pizza by the slice (a taglio) is also very good and pretty cheap.

Most any small grocery shop (alimentari) will make you a sandwich and sell you beer or wine to go with it. Your weather for picnicing will be better than mine in February.

I tried once to hit the 313 Cavour wine bar near the Forum, but it was closed Monday. Up a couple of blocks, I encountered several Chinese restaurants and tried one (yes, in Rome) since I was craving some rice at that point. It was good (different that the chinese in Florida) and cheap if you grow tired of what you've been eating. (There are not many foreign restaurants in Rome.)

Hope you have a great trip!

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

I love coming across tavola caldas--the cafeteria--really inexpensive but good eating places and they don't chide you for not getting multicourses for your meals. Look for signs, they may not be so obvious nor have proper names to them. In Rome, I found and spied several inside buildings and around lunchtime, you may see office people heading to them for bountiful meals. Rome mostly is where the signage is not obvious and always in Italian. In Florence, there is a large one, can't remember the name, on the main street heading to Ponte Vecchio; you can't miss it. In the Cinque Terre, a lot of pizzerias sell by the huge slice to take away and are inexpensive; most of them are made fresh and not microwaved for reheating as sometimes happen in Rome.

United States
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

I'll be able to give you proper names for more in Lucca in about 6 weeks. ;^) I can find them but don't know the names.

One bar with nice little snacks is in Piazza S. Frediano near the Basilica, another is Caffè Mercato next to the church of San Michele. On Via Fililunga near an entrance into the anfiteatro is a bar with lots of wine bottles in the window, there is a serving/deli type counter in the front and then you can go through and down a couple of steps into the bar. You can sit there or go on out to the anfiteatro and have your drink and snacks there.

TAB

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
346 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

Three suggestions for Rome, maybe not antipasto but good and cheap:

1) L'Insalata Ricca has good meal-sized salads for under 10E, just near Piazza Navonna off Via Vittorio Emmanuele. I think it is an Italian chain, so there may be other locations as well.

2) Filetti di Baccala had great inexpensive fried cod fillets and anchovy antipasto near Campo di Fiori on Largo dei Librari.

3) Perelli in Prati near the Vatican has a great lucj buffet starting at 12:30 or so. Usually I avoid these places but their selection of pastas, grilled meats and vegetables was terrific - under 10E if I recall correctly, and it doesn't get crowded until after 1pm. On Via Otranto a block north and west of the Ottaviano metro stop.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

On the cheap (not Italian) try:

Kabab

Via dei Cappellari, 74 Rome Italy

Fun Bar and antipasta place:

The Library

http://www.thelibrary.it/all/menu.htm

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

We used Insalata Ricci a couple of yesrs ago and they were very good and reasonable, I think there are 6 in Rome, the one we used was near our hotel near the Pyramid Metro.

We went an antipasto bar this January and it was lovely, if you ask Rome 70 ( Daniela) she took us, but I cannot remember the name 5 euros for drink and as much antipasti as you like.

Jess UK

7. Re: Antipasto bar recommendations & budget meals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 11:19