We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Hello - I am in the process of planning a vacation to Italy this June. I will be traveling first to Rome, then on to Florence with my two children (ages ten and eleven). I have never been to Rome and am trying to make a decision on where we should stay for our four day visit. I have read the Forums and have done extensive research. My first choice, based on forums here, was the Hotel Santa Maria. Unfortunately, they do not have any rooms available. That hotel seemed perfect for my needs as a single mother. I have since, done more research and have narrowed down my choice to either The Inn at the Roman Forum or Fortyseven Hotel. Can anyone offer me any help with this decision? Or perhaps offer an even better idea? I am looking for a safe and secure hotel/inn that offers breakfast and possibly an afternoon snack. A room with a terrace or courtyard is very important, as I hope to have a place to sit outside, close to my children, while they are resting. Thank you so much. Any other advice is welcome (tours, restaurants, etc.) that would be suitable for the ages of my children. I so appreciate all responses/advice/recommendations. Grazie!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

I'm not aware that the Fortyseven has rooms with a terrace or a courtyard.

If the Fortyseven is within your budget, the Hotel Ponte Sisto should also be, which has both and is much more conveniently located.

Also with a courtyard is a former convent not far from Hotel Santa Maria, Santa Francesca Romana.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Thank you for your thoughts. The Fortyseven does have a terrace with a restaurant, however, the location does seem to be a bit out of the way from the usual sites. I looked into the Hotel Ponte Sisto and it looks great. Can anyone help me choose between Hotel Fortyseven, The Inn at the Forum and now Ponte Sisto? Thank you so much. These are all fairly expensive hotels and I really hope to make the best decision for the dollars spent....also, please keep in mind that I am a single mother traveling alone with children on her first (and maybe only) visit to Rome. Thank you.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

I suggest that you go to yur local book store and buy the excellent book.."Rome With Kids" by J. M. Pasquesi. You can also buy it on Amazon. Wonderful book. Gives you kid friendly hotels, and restaurants, Makes Rome a game for them. The best investment you can make .

I would not select any place that is too far from the sites. The children will get too tired either walking or having to ride on public transportation.

In your price range there are not many hotels with gardens or rooms with terraces.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Thank you for the advice on the book. I just ordered from Amazon! I'm surprised to learn that I won't have much luck finding a hotel/inn with a terrace or courtyard in my price range, as I thought I was already looking to spend quite a bit of money for a room. How much do I need to spend to get a terrace or courtyard in Rome? If money were no object, where would you recommend I stay? Just curious.... Also, do you think Hotel Fortyseven is too far away for children? Thank you so much.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

I have never heard of the 47 Hotel..but that doesnt mean anything. One of TA's great posters with a fund of knowledge told you it was too far away.

Rome is a big ,old city with not many hotels with courtyards and outdoor seating. I guess you could Google.".hotels in Rome with gardens:" and see what comes up.

The Hilton Cavalieri is a little outside of the city but provides shuttle buses every 15 minutes. It has gardens, 2 swimming pools, a playground and excellent in house restaurants.. you might look at this one.

Many people on TA would not stay any other place.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Thank you Agatha for sharing your thoughts. How many days would you (or anyone else on this forum) recommend to spend with two school age children in Rome, bearing in mind the heat and crowds of June? We have two weeks to spend in Italy. The first week is fairly open (Rome, Florence, Pisa) and the second week we will spend with friends in a private home in Tuscany. I want my children (and myself!) to enjoy this trip, not to be exhausted/cranky/crabby by trying to do and see too much during this crowded and hot time of year. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and wisdom.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

I would probably say Rome and Florence. Pisa is a day trip from Florence. Not some place you would devote more than a day to visiting. If time permits I would try to go to Lucca. It is a walled city and most children are delighted with walls surrounding a city.

Read the book that you have now bought and see what the three of you want to do. Most children dislike museums..and I would not take a child to the Vatican Museum for any amount of culture. It is much too crowded and IMO horrible. people lock stepping along (masses of people) little children will not see a thing!

Take them to St Peter's instead..they will enjoy climbing the dome.

Florence IMO is more fun for kids. It is smaller and you can walk to everything. Kids like the straw market and San Lorenzo market and of course you must pre book so they can go see The David.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

For a room (triple) with a terrace in an good location, I would definitely choose Hotel Ponte Sisto of the three options you mentioned. They have a few rooms with private terrace, they have an enormous interior communal terrace on the fifth floor, an equally huge interior courtyard on the ground floor (where they often serve breakfast in the summer, but also have outdoor furniture, sofas etc. for relaxing, and they have a little computer station so you can catch up on e-mail etc. Breakfast there is more than ample and for snack, you can stop in the grocery store a few doors away!

Also suggest B&B Canali ai Coronari. They have triples and quads and rooms with small terraces. Location is just off north end of Piazza Navona. Finally, Albergo del Senato has family suites, but you're best to call the hotel directly to book so that you can make yourself clear on what you need. They offer double rooms with a pull out sofabed for one (or two single sofabeds, if you need). These sofabeds are best for kids only as they are thin mattresses and a bit smaller than a full length twin, but the hotel is absolutely wonderful, very helpful to families, has a gorgeous communal terrace overlooking the Pantheon, and has a full breakfast in a charming breakfast room.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

Solo Roma - Thank you for your reply and insight. I checked out the Hotel Ponte Sisto on TA, and there really is a complete mixed bag of comments (from great to terrible). This in itself, makes it hard to make a decision on where to stay. Having said that; given the choice (and my travel circumstances) would you stay at the Hotel Ponte Sisto or the Albergo del Senato? Thank you. This is so confusing for a first time traveller to Rome.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Hotels - Advice for a single mother

They are both good choices. Albergo del Senato is more refined in decor and has wonderful staff, but the rooms tend to be on the small side. I think 3 people (2 kids your children's ages) will be fine at the Albergo, but the know that the bathroom will be tight and you won't have the amount of outdoor space that you can get at Ponte Sisto.

My sister just stayed at Ponte Sisto with her daughter (20 year old) so I can say that the outdoor space is terrific and you can get a room with a private terrace. The rooms there are not as sophisticated as those at Albergo del Senato and are maybe a bit dated, but they are bigger and their bathrooms are bigger, which comes in handy for families. Both are centrally located. Hope that helps somewhat.