We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

Snellville, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

My husband and I are visiting Rome arriving on June 8th. Since we are arriving before lunch and staying near Piazza Navona, we will spend the rest of the day exploring that area, the Spanish Steps, etc. The 10th will be spent at the Colisseum, Roman Forum, etc. I have made reservations for that. We are spending the morning of the 9th at the Vatican. I have made reservations to speed up the process. I think we have time for a half-day trip to either Ostia or Villa d'Este, but I can't decide which! We both enjoy beautiful scenery, as we are amateur photographers. I am leaning toward Ostia due to the interesting pictures I have seen, but we are visiting Pompeii on the morning of the 11th on our way out of Rome, and I wonder if both would be overkill. Any advice?

Thanks, the Canadys

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

I was at Ostia recently and loved it but think it would be pretty warm in June. I also think it deserves a whole day as there is lots of wandering around to do there.

I've not been to Villa d'Este since I was a child but remember it as a cool, refreshing place on a hot summer's day.

If you don't plan on going to Hardian's villa too, then I would go for Villa d'Este for a 1/2 day trip.

If you want to stay in Rome then there are several very nice gardens to wander around there too.

The Baths of Caracala are a peaceful oasis ( or at least they were when I was there), Celimontana was also a peaceful place to visit with the added bonus of being close to the churches of Santa Maria in Domnica, one of the more interesting of Rome's churches ( to my mind) and Santo Stefano Rotondo,the round church now reopened after undergoing much restoration.

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

If you are going to Pompeii, then definitely go to Tivoli instead of Ostia Antica...great photos to take at Villa d'Este and in town.

Kathy

Mykonos, Greece
Level Contributor
549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

Two things to consider... if you like ancient stuff, pick Ostia over e'Este. But if you've seen Pompeii, you don't need Ostia. I'm an ancient history buff so I thoroughly enjoyed both Pompeii and Ostia. d'Este was perfectly fine but nothing special for me. So base your decision on what you like to see best.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

If you only have half a day, I would choose Ostia Antica because it's nearer to Rome. However, I urge you to do neither one, because your schedule in Rome is just rushing from one site to the next, and you haven't allowed any time for just relaxing, enjoying yourself and exploring the little streets in the center.

Or you could go to Ostia instead of Pompeii on your way out of Rome. Where are you heading next? Pompeii is not just a short hop from Rome. Unless your next destination is south of Rome, I wouldn't recommend going to Pompeii on your way from Rome to somewhere else.

Here is a very good site about Ostia Antica:

http://www.ostia-antica.org/

Snellville, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

Thank you guys for your advice. However, after deciding to go to Villa d'Este, we discovered it it closed on Mondays! Go figure. Apparently Hadrian's Villa is open, but not Villa d'Este. We may go there instead if time permits.

Thanks again,

the Canadys

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

Well, that makes your decision easier, because Ostia Antica is also closed Mondays.

Villa Adriana is definitely worth a visit.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
10,456 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

We just did both of those places 2 weeks ago and my favorite was Ostia antica, we did a tour of it with Presto tours and our guide was fabulous. He is the director of Language & Culture Institute Rome University of fine arts. I learned so much from him.

We took a tour with another company to Tivoli and it wasn't good. The things we saw were but it takes a good guide to explain things to you. We also did a whole day at Pompeii and loved it. There we did an audio tour that was excellent no need for a guide. It's different from Ostia in lots of ways but if you don't have a lot of time I'd opt for just the Pompeii tour.

8. Re: Day trip from Rome- Ostia Antica or Villa d'Este?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 17:17