We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

We would like to go to see Tosca at La Piccola Lirica in May but saw that the dress is "elegant informal" - I think I can pull that off with a black skirt, etc., but don't know what my husband could wear - we're not planning on anything else formal on the trip. Would dark jeans be totally unacceptable? We will be in the upper reaches (a.k.a - cheap seats). Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

You don't need anything formal. The word "informal" says it. Dark jeans should be fine. Maybe your husband could wear a black turtleneck with his dark jeans? That seems to be the uniform of the arty intellectual in Italy.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

sealonsf -

where did you purchase your opera ticket? we will be there in June and one of the nights, we might want to see a show.

bvlenci -

could you please chime in? which website to visit for Opera?

Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

Here is the English language page of the Piccola Lirica:

http://www.piccolalirica.com/eng/index.asp

Their season ends in May, though. June is not a good month for catching an opera, as the opera season will be over everywhere and the summer festivals haven't started yet.

Actually, La Piccola Lirica doesn't mount full-scale opera productions, and the singers are mostly local students. They usually put on one opera each year and perform it four times a week from October to May.They say somewhere on their page that it is an easy listening opera. I've never seen one of their productions, but it is obviously geared to tourists.

Rome is not really one of the great opera cities. Milano is really the best city in Italy for opera.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

bvlenci -

thanks for a very good info. i guess, our evenings will be spent going out for a nightly stroll.

ciao!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

Rome may not have La Scala, but there is some great opera here, especially the summer performances amid the ruins of the Baths of Caracalla.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

Wow, I'll check this out. Thanks.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

However, I believe the summer opera begins in July. I don't think there's anything much on in June.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

bvlenci, Thanks once again for your comments (you've helped me before).

We've decided to go to the Opera in Venice instead of Rome. I think I will enjoy the full experience more.

Looks like we'll see La Traviata - looking forward to it!

rome
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

Hello. I would want to explain that the Piccolo Lirico it is a new very particular project like the "Shakespeare pocket size" in London, proper for the experts and not of the Italian melodrama; for people who loves the theater and not a show for tourists. It is young and informal, the costs are contained and the singers are not students but young professional artists some of which have become famous. The Piccolo Lirico is a real theater, the only one in Rome, that the whole year introduces operas exciting and well done besides the Teatro dell’Opera. Milan has the Teatro alla Scala but we are “Top ten to see” according to the best foreign newspapers. Visit your web site, please. Thanks to the Guide for the information. Gianna

10. Re: Opera - Piccola Lirica in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 02:19