We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

san francisco, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

Hello,

We are leaving on Friday to Rome and we'll have 4 full days there. We will definitely visit the Vatican but was wondering if we should visit another museum? How about Bourghese Gallery, Capital Hill Museum or any other ones? It is our first time in Rome.

Also, do we need/have to make an advance reservation for any museums (I know that I cannot do it the the Vatican).

We will also be in Florence for 2 days and I was wondering which museums should we visit there?

Disclamer: we like to visit museums however we like to wonder the streets and see the city even more and do not want to spend the majority of our vacation at the museums.

Thank you!!!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,032 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

In Florence, The Accademia which houses Michelangelo's Statue of David (there is a copy in Piazza della Signoria, but it's painful to go to Florence and not see the original.)

You can phone for reservations (and avoid a long wait in line). You pay for the tickets upon arrival. Scroll down to 'booking' on this page: firenzemusei.it/00_english/servizi/index.html

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

And you get to walk up steps designed by Michaelangelo to get to the Capitoline Museum--what an entrance. The Dying Gaul is a very powerful sculpture--much emotion--like the Baroque--but ancient.

Charlottetown, PEI...
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

In Florence, as previously mentioned the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo and the Bargello Museum, both are great museums and do not need reservations and the Accademia which should be reserved. The original "David" in the Accademia is so much superior to the copy in the Piazza Della Signoria.

brooklyn
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

I must agree with the many before me who want you to visit the Borghese Gallery. Make your reservations when you can add the english speaking tour. My wife and I have done this twice with 2 different tour guides and both were informative and well worth the 5 extra euro's.

As far as Florence goes nobody has added the Bargello and the Branacci Chapel. The Branacci is across the Arno in the Oltrano district so you will get to cross a few bridges plus see another side of Florence. Since you said you like to wander the streets make sur you visit the San Lorenzo market and the Mercanto Central with all the stalls of food vendors. Enjoy your trip.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

In Rome, one of my favorites is the Palazzo Altemps.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

The Dying Gaul is wonderfully moving. I also love "Lo Spinario", the boy removing a thorn from his foot, also in the Capitoline Museums. It's astonishing to think of that youth from 2500 years ago, living on a statue, so much like other children of all times. Also, the ancient Etruscan statue of the wolf that's the symbol of Rome ever since, and the famous statue of Venus. All in all, I must say this is my favorite museum in Rome.

However, I wouldn't suggest just looking at the Roman Forum from the Museum. You have to get down there and walk those ancient Roman streets, look at the remains of the temples close up, and stand in the ancient Roman Senate house. (Although it's been restructured a lot, it's still the same place).

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

I have to agree; without question, the Borghese and the Capitoline museums are the quintessential Rome museums. On a short trip, you should be able to squeeze in the Vatican and these two. Also, as someone else posted, while at the Capitoline, be sure to go to the lower level and make your way to the Tabularium for a spectacular view over the Forum, and don't miss the newly restructured enclosed garden space for the Marcus Aurelius equestrian and Temple of Jove (both in Capitoline museums).

san francisco, CA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

Thankm you all for such detailed information!

One more question, do I need to make a reservation tot he capitoline museum?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

I fully agree with BV and Eternal, Palazzo Doria Pamphili and Palzzo Altemps are both excellent. O the two, I prefer the first - the paintings collection is absolutely remarkable. Has good audioguide.

Another great place IMO is tha Villa Farnesina, featuring frescoes by Rafael and Peruzzi. A review at:

…nytimes.com/travel/…

Could not locate the official website, perhaps a destination expert could lend a helping hand:

Villa Farnesina

Address: Via della Lungara 230

tel +39/06/68027268 - fax +39/06/68027345

E-mail: farnesina@lincei.it

Opening hours: 9.00 - 13.00 on weekdays

Entrance fee: Euro 5,00.

You can check out the Capitol Museums in detail at:

http://en.museicapitolini.org/

Another good option no one seems to have mentioned is the Palazzo Massimo alle Terme (particularly for ancient frescoes, mosaics and sculpture. It has a charming chiostro (courtyard) that was alleggedly decorated by Michelangelo using excavated ancient statues. A review at:

frommers.com/destinations/rome/A26287.html

Hope some of this might help!

Regards,

P_M

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Which museums to visit - in Rome for 4 days.

To answer another question: you don't need a reservation at the Capitoline Museums, and there is rarely a line.