We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Only in rome for 1 1/2 days.. just want to see Sistine and Basilica.. any advice please!!! do i have purchase tickets? when to go.. etc.. i have read some forum and still can't figure anything out..

Thanks

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

PM and Zerlina..the door is at the far end of the Sistine. It is on the right as you finish looking at the Sistine and are walking toward the back the door is on the right. I am sorry I cannot give instuctions on how to exit to St Peter's.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

I know I did this like 6 years ago, but I don't remember exactly. I think you guys are on the right track - Rick Steves says to "exit out the back corner of the Sistine Chapel - on the right, with your back to the altar. This route shortcuts directly to St Peter's Basilica. Though the door is likely to be labeled "exit for private tour groups only," you can often just slide through with the crowd."

Smyrna, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

I have made an attempt to diagram the location of the door for those interested. The diagram can be obtained <a href="http://gtf.org/dan/sistine.png">here</a>

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,711 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Thank you angra 311 for devising the diagram. It is quite helpful. Why do people suggest things when they haven't tried it out first??

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Rick Steves has a printable map of the Sistine Chapel with the exit available on iTunes along with his audio guided tour. The map has the exit marked "sometimes open" . It is on the right hand side to the far back as you enter the chapel.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

P-M ,thanks for the map.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Angra,

many thanks for resolving our little riddle!

Regards,

P_M

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Aquablue,

"Why do people suggest things when they haven't tried it out first??"

My answer is: because they know it for a fact that there is a better way to do something to the benefit of the OP. And because fyi the forum is frequently a cooperative effort whereby another poster is likely to help (as Agra in fact did in this case).

For the sake of clarity, let me give you this example:

Assuming I had been to Luxor many, many times, but had never tried visiting Kings Valley. Assuming that *you* were going to Luxor and asking for directions to KV. And assuming no one had given you a complete answer yet and I were to stumble over your post.

Then, I would consider it worthwhile to let you know where in Luxor you could get a felucca to the West Bank.

And you would always have the option to ignore my post, no offense taken, if it were not clear enough, educated enough, detailed enough or otherwise not raising to your standards.

Did I answer your question?

Best Regards,

P_M

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

P-M : this is exactly why I don't like people to send me private messages asking advice about a trip. First, I know that if I make a mistake in my answer on the public forum, someone will correct me. And even if I don't make a mistake, there will be the benefit of different points of view. Also, I always hope my answers will help more than one person if it appears in the public forum. I hope I don't offend people, but I get a lot of private messages and redirect the enquirer to the public forum. Some just don't want to post a query here, I don't know why.

I, like you, sometimes answer a question about something I've never done if no one else has answered the question. When I'm not sure about something I say say. At least it bumps the question up in the list, and someone else may weigh in.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Catmouse,

Before writing off the rest of the Vatican Museum you may want to get a book at the library or research online about it's collection. I'd hate to have you miss something special that might only add 30 minutes to your day. I know you have limited time though... have fun!