We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Only in rome for 1 1/2 days.. just want to see Sistine and Basilica.. any advice please!!! do i have purchase tickets? when to go.. etc.. i have read some forum and still can't figure anything out..

Thanks

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

bvlenci,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts based on all that experience.

I feel the same way about posting our replies and making our recommendations subject to public scrutiny.

Constructive criticism is part of the learning experience. I welcome it anytime.

Especially from Zerlina. Just kidding Ms. Z :)

As soon as I grow *perfect*, I'll circulate a memo to let everyone know that henceforward it will have become impossible for me to make mistakes or post incomplete info.

Kind regards,

P_M

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Catmouse13,

I hope I can simplify for you a little bit. You're best and clearest plan would be to enter the Vatican museums, you will pay and then go up a long escalator (with everyone else). At the top you will have the option of renting audio guide at a help desk, but if you really are only going to see the Sistine Chapel, do not rent because you will have to back track all the way to hear in order to return them, then you would not be able to exit the Sistine through the "secret" door that leads to the Basilica.

Now from the help desk, you can go right (to museums, not for you) or left and down a very long hall (for you, leads to Sistine). You must put blinders on, so to speak, because you must go past a lot of wonderful treasures. Keep aiming for Raphael rooms/Sistine (as the signs will say). Currently, everyone must thread through the Raphael rooms to get to the Sistine. They are gorgeous so do slow down for them. After the last room you have two doors to choose from and both will lead you to the Sistine Chapel eventually, but the door for the Borgia apartments is much longer route, so avoid it.

From the Sistine, with your back to the Michelangelo frescoed altar wall called "The Last Judgement" you will find the door that leads directly to St. Peter's at the far end on your right. It is marked "Groups," but it is not always open. It will lead you to the right courtyard of St. Peter's and you will have skipped the line to enter the Basilica, should you have started at the Basilica's square. From there you can choose to go up to its dome, or into the basilica.

Hope that is clear for you.

SR

Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Thanks SR!!!

Cat

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

My pleasure. Have a wonderful visit.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

No wonder your book "Rome For Kids" is a best seller! These are the best directions that I have ever read.

brava!!!

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

Thanks Agatha, the admiration is mutual. If "Italy with Agatha" ever hits the market, I'm your first sale!

JM

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

and with the exception of my mother probably my only one! :)

28. Re: Confused.. want only to see Sistine Chapel & Basilica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 14:15