We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP against the euro

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
u.k
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
GBP against the euro

At the moment the exchange rate over here for the euro is dire. Would I benefit more by exchanging my money in the U.K or waiting and doing it in Italy?

Rome
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP against the euro

The problem with exchanging any currency in Italy is that without residency in Italy you have to use the travel offices and exchange offices like Travelex, who do not give you good rates (they will, of course, argue that they do). My advice to you would be use your bank in the UK for a smallish sum, but then use your credit/debit card whilst you are in Italy. The issuing bank will convert at the rate of the day, and charge you a small fee (£2.50 typically)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP against the euro

Welcome to our world of terrible exchange rates! I didn't know it was bad for the UK too!!At least you guys can travel to the USA and spend up a storm but to your question... most people on these forums agree that the best exchange rate is found by using your ATM/debit card to withdraw money.

I didn't know that stuff about non-residents not being able to exchange money at banks etc but that's because most don't do that so it is not mentioned.

3. Re: GBP against the euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:18