We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome Tips

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham WA
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rome Tips

Just got back from Italy a week ago. Here are some tips.

Pickpockets - I agree with the previous post - don't fear this but beware - we had no problems - keep purses and items close to you and in front of the body - backpacks can be easily gotten into without you knowing it.

Belongings in hotels - I have heard of several thefts from hotel rooms - most hotels even post signs saying they are not responsible for items stolen from rooms - since most hotels ask that you leave the key with them when you leave the room, it is very possible for someone else to get your room key - we were never once asked for our name or ID when asking for our room key even when there was a change of staff person who had no idea who we were - all we did was say our room number - this is scary!

Colosseum and ancient Rome - they are now charging for walking through the Forum - this is new - what's great about this is that there is now an additional place to buy tickets (a ticket covers the Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill)and very few people know about the ticket office located between the Forum and Colosseum. We walked right up to the counter and purchased ours with no wait whatsoever. Rick Steves has spread the word about buying tickets at Palatine Hill so there is now long lines there! Once you have a ticket you can bypass the lines into the Colosseum and Palatine Hill. You will still have to go through the security check but then can proceed directly to the turnstiles labeled tour groups! This saved us over 45 minutes of waiting time!

Borghese Gardens - a short walk from the Spanish Steps is a wonderful break from the crowds and noise of Rome - quiet and shady - there's even a small lake where you can rent a rowboat for $6 euros.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome Tips

Thanks for the great tips!

Will be there in July! 2 1/5 weeks!

Albany NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome Tips

Would you mind posting exactly where this new ticket office is located? We'll be there next month and that sounds like a great timesaver!

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome Tips

Yes, I'm interested too, can you buy an audioguide there/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome Tips

Me too!

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome Tips

Yes Crazy Maria, Please tell us your new find, you said between the Forum and the Colosseum, and

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome Tips

The address of the Roman Forum ticket office is

Largo della Salara Vecchia 5/6 (formerly called Largo Romolo e Remo). It's on the Forum side of Via dei Fori Imperiali.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome Tips

Thank you Zerlina :o)

Albany NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome Tips

My thanks also, Zerlina!

uk
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome Tips

Ive heard of hotels keeeping your key if you ask them to but never focing you to leave it with them every time you leave your room. Im not comfortable with this, for the reason you specified, can you refuse to do this on security reasons?

Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome Tips

Thanks very much for the update will be visiting Rome next month with family.