We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Topic
Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

abcnews.go.com/Travel/Story?id=4718693&page=1

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

No.

The insult was the story line.

However, the video content was excellent and that was the only reason we watched.

The program came across at its best when we hit 'mute' and left it there. Even the commercials weren't half-bad in that mode.

Darks

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

What a dumb story.Of course it wasn't. They were just looking to get publicity.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

In the wake of Dan Brown et sl.all kinds of such fake theories will keep popping up.Unless you have a weakness for conspiracy theories they're best ignored.

All the chapel provokes in me is stunned admiration!I would find it easier to believe that it was painted by angels.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

You might want to read "Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling "by Ross King. Also for those visiting Florence Mr. Kings'" Brunelleschi's Dome" is a a definitive work on the topic.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Please don't shoot the messenger! I simply saw the article and found it interesting. Considering the source (abcnews.com - although, after the last debate their legitimacy is, well, debatable) I felt it pertinent to post the link. I know if I were visiting Rome in the near future and planned on seeing the Sistine Chapel I would find it very interesting to look for the items that were pointed out by the authors. Based on that, I thought others would as well.

Paducah, Kentucky
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Michael thank you for posting that as we will be there in 1 week and for sure even though I don't believe it I will be looking for the "signs".We saw the show the other night on TV.I think because you posted it as a question you are getting some strong answers,mine included.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

I see ... actually the title of my post was simply the title of the article. A news organization would certainly never try to incite an immediate reaction from people with a controversial title?

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Oh ... and do enjoy your trip. One tip I would give is do not go to the Sistine Chapel at midday on a Saturday. Not sure what day of the week you plan on going, but if I go back I will try to get there first thing in the AM.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Michael, I don't think anyone tried to impugn you for posting the link.Indeed it is great to have some posts which raise issues (real or contrived) which may be of interest or controversial among the many humdrum subjects ( admittedly the purpose of these forums) which one wades through.It's the spice of the forum(s)

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was the Sistine Ceiling a Papal Insult?

Be mindful that you cannot "just go visit the Sistine Chapel"! Oh that we all could! You must, alas, walk through the Vatican Museum..it seems miles and miles of halls crowded with humans back to back! The Sistine is at the very end....usually crowded...very crowded.

Michael I enjoyed reading the article. Ah, Dan Brown has opened up a can of worms, has he not? Now everyone will be trying to find Waldo in all art work in Italy :)