We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in an apartment

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
living in an apartment

hi has anyone ever stayed in an apartment in rome?is it safe 2 live in one or is it better 2 stay in a hotel?which site is best 2 book an apartment ?thanks

aharris30
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: living in an apartment

I have stayed in an apartment before but not in rome. I think this is a better idea than a hotel becaues most will have it's own bathroom, kitchen and washing machines.And most are cheaper than hotels. Try www.homeaway.com, www.vacationrentals.com, and www.vrbo.com

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: living in an apartment

I always prefer to stay in an apartment. If you are independent, willing to do your homework (read guidebooks/internet websites/etc) and not need to rely on concierge services, apartment rental is the way to go. As people have replied to you, there is a multitude of apartment rentals avail in Rome, but all will depend on your budget, your priorities regarding comfort (A/C, climbing stairs), your goals as to what you want to see/do in Rome and the neighborhood you want to stay in. Just Google Rome vacation rentals and you will get almost a dozen rental companies. Once you have settled down on several apt choices, look at reviews for the specific apt for more informed choice. Slow Trav is a website that has more apt reviews than anywhere I have seen so far. Good luck. By the way, the earlier you start looking, the beter chance you can get your choice as more affordable places in Rome go very, very fast!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: living in an apartment

I actually prefer to stay in a hotel when I'm traveling because I don't want to waste time shopping, doing laundry, cleaning the tub, and cooking. Since I'm not going to use the kitchen, except maybe to make a cup of tea, and I'm definitely not going to do laundry, a hotel better suits my needs.

A major exception is when traveling with a small child. An apartment, or at least a hotel with a small fridge and a microwave, is a great convenience when you have a young child.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: living in an apartment

Who is making all these folks afraid that mainland Europe is so dangerous? Have they actually ever been to Rome?

I generally end up traveling alone - my husband is seldom available to accompany me. Additionally, I'm seldom able to plan very far ahead, so I'm always at the mercy of what's available at the last minute. I've stayed in many different areas over the years, and I've never felt unsafe anywhere in the city.

I've been told that the Termini area is seedy - I don't know exactly what that means - I've never had a problem there no matter what the hour - of course, I haven't been all around the station - the building is huge so there may be a less safe place that I haven't found.

I have stayed in apartments in Rome - one I particularly liked was near the Pyramide Metro stop. The actual location was about a five block walk away from the Metro, in a great residential location - with two supermarkets, two bakeries, a deli, a flower market, hardware store, and a trattoria, all within a couple of blocks.

It was great fun to be a temporary Roman. On the second night that I went to our local trattoria for dinner, I was welcomed as a local, and had a wonderful time with the family that owned the place. Needless to say, I went no farther for dinner on any night that I went out.

Since graffiti has been a Roman tradition since before Julius Caesar, you'll just have to get over it. Spray paint seems to have no bearing on the safety of an area - so ignore it. Even Mussolini couldn't get rid of it entirely - so if it upsets you, you can stay home or look past it.

Do a search here on the forum for an apartment agency - you'll get lots of information and reviews and be able to make an informed decision. Another area that I have particularly liked is Trastevere - close enough to walk everywhere, but not noisy at night, and many fewer tourists than in some areas, so you feel as though you're really in Italy.

Good luck.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: living in an apartment

I also stay in hotels. Unless I am going to stay in one city for two weeks or more then I might rent an apartment. I agree with BV. I do not want to go to the market for food, clean the bath room and I have absolutely no interest in running washing machines. Italian washing machines are usually so small they will take one bath towel. Then you must figure out where to hang the clothing to dry. ???

IMHO I like hotels. If I need information, room service (in case of being sick for the day and need tea and toast) want the name of a shoe repair man, might need a doctor in the middle of the night..I once did this in Milan and the hotel provided one within the hour.

As to being safe. I would only use an apartment with a 24 hour door man.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: living in an apartment

BV and Agatha, I am jealous of you two because you both live in Italy. Part of the fun of travel to Ialy is being able to buy the enticing stuff displayed in the delectable Gastronomia/alimentari/markets and bring home goodies to make in my rental apartments. Until I stayed in apartments, it was just window shopping. So when I am in France or Italy, apartments are a must.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: living in an apartment

To each his own. Even before I lived in Italy, the things I wanted to see when I was there were art, architecture and history, not fresh tomatoes.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: living in an apartment

I'm a foodie and I love to cook so going to food markets in different countries is part of my interest in travel.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
945 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: living in an apartment

We enjoy staying in an apartment for the extra space, the use of a kitchen and sometimes a washing machine, and the freedom to cook or to go out if we wish. If the neighborhood where a hotel is located is safe, an apartment in the safe neighborhood is likely to be safe too.

If you need the hotel staff to make suggestions of restaurants for you and to make reservations for tours and arrange for land transportation, staying in an apartment might be intimidating.

We use www.VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner), a web site that puts you in touch with owners of individual apartments. If you'd prefer to use a travel agent, try www.RomeBy.com, which has both hotels and apartments.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: living in an apartment

We're apartment people!

I love the freedom and honestly, we had a cleaning service that took care of any heavy lifting. We stayed here:

romanreference.com/appartamento.php?refid=176

Perfect and romantic for two... rooftop terrace, comfy king-sized bed, Nice bath (larger than most hotels), Living room, dining room and small but workable kitchen (we rarely fixed cooked dinner/here). The only hard part is that it's FIVE stories up... not a problem for us but maybe not everyone. We were there in October but there were AC units for hot season visitors. I can tell you that enjoying wine and antipasti at 4 pm each day was heaven and coming home after dinner to a perch above it all was really wonderful. We never could afford expensive hotels when we came to Rome when we were younger, so perhaps we are missing something from a nice hotel with concierge & room service, but t doesn't really make much sense to me... especially since I'm fairly familiar with the city.

2 rent or not 2 rent... that is the question...

Best wishes!