We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids in Rome

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kids in Rome

I read about the people selling roses and bracelets, sometimes forcefully. Do they leave kids alone and just harrass the adults or is anyone fair game for them? I have a 9 and a 3 yr old. Thanks.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids in Rome

I was there last October with my wife and two grandchildren ages 12 and 14. We had no problem at all with those people.

rome
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids in Rome

My advice is to ignore them and they will leave you alone. If you don't want to be hassled try not to give them any attention - it could backfire...

There was something on Channel 5 here in Rome the other day about the gypsies robbing people and they interviewed a group of young American girls who had been at a cafe near Termini and were robbed when a child came up to them with a sign saying how poor she was and asking for money. They were robbed because they were focusing on telling the little girl to clear off (or perhaps more diplomatically than that!) and while their attention was on the girl, an accomplice sneaked up and whipped away their rucksack that was between their chairs! I mean, this is a pretty common scenario I am sure and I don;t mean to say that the rose sellers are thieves.. I have never ever heard of these guys robbing people but the best thing to do is ignore them. They are not too forceful and get the hint pretty quickly I reckon.

rome
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids in Rome

Oh gosh, I should have added, beware the guys around Piazza Navona who stop people to tie a piece of string around their finger!! (i can never understand why people would stop for someone to tie a bit of string on their finger but they do). They are thieves. I have watched them and they have an accomplice keeping lookout.. they tie a bit of string on your finger, and then they lift your arm with the string-finger hand and while you are wondering what the blazes are they doing, they nip into your pocket or bag to see if they can lift anything more! But the accomplice-watchout, he has a hand signal (which is like pointing in the direction of the person watching them too closely(ie me) but disguised as if they are rubbing their nose. very obvious if you know that tehy are up to no good).

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids in Rome

frank this exact thing happened to me in prague, flowergirl, distraction than got my purse, passport, money , digital camera, u name it, harsh lesson learned, i won't ever sit my purse down again,

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids in Rome

The people selling roses, little toys, etc. in the Piazzas will not harm your children. They are trying to make a buck and, yes, they can really push the merchandise, but if you ignore them, walk away, say "no" or "no, grazie" in a firm voice, they'll usually push off. Worse case scenario is that your kids really want the glow in the dark, flying things and you have to buy one!

The gypsies are another matter. They are beggars and as another poster already said, they will cause a scene to hide their stealing. Do not speak to them or let your guard down. They, also, are not out to cause physical harm, just steal your things. None of these things should cause you to worry. Go and have a good time. You will love Rome.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids in Rome

what about gypsies stealing babies. is there any truth to that?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids in Rome

penny07...Only in your great grandmother's mind.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids in Rome

thanks fatjack1 !!! but i just heard a story in naples a young Rom sneaked into an apartment and tried to steal a 6 mo old baby while the mother was chatting w/ a neighbor and left the door open. i will try and find the story to bakc myself up......

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids in Rome

here it is. hope you can read italian!!

repubblica.it/2008/…rom-napoli.html

10. Re: Kids in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 17:21