We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ancient Rome Question

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Angels Camp, CA
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Ancient Rome Question

For our upcoming trip to Rome I have one day planned where we want to see the main ancient Rome sites, as well as a couple of churches in the same area that seem interesting.

These are the sites: Forum, Palatine Hill, Colosseum, Saint Peter in Chains and San Clemente Church.

My questions is, considering crowds (we are visiting in late mid-late June, heat, opens and closing times, etc, in what order should we visit these sites? We will probably be walking from our hotel near the Pantheon and perhaps using a taxi to return.

Also, any ideas for a casual lunch break? And if I am missing anthying in the area that you think we could fit in, please let me know.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ancient Rome Question

Amongst the most interesting, but also less frequently visited, late Roman Christian buildings are the 4th century mausoleum of Santa Costanza, built for the daughter of Constantine and with the earliest surviving Christian mosaics. Lovely mosaics of vines and the trading of grapes symbolic of Christ shedding his blood for us. On the same site is the church of Sant'Agnese fuori le Mura also very early.

Both are in Via Nomentura to the north east of central Rome but easily reached by the local bus service.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ancient Rome Question

Keep the opening/closing hours in mind when visiting the churches. The same clothing restrictions apply that apply to St. Peter's in Vatican City.

San Clemente:

basilicasanclemente.com/infoexcavations.htm

and San Pietro in Vincoli opens from 7-12.30 and then from 15.30-18

In that part of town we enjoy Hostaria Nerone, Via Terme di Tito 96

San Diego
Level Contributor
425 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ancient Rome Question

Just returned few days ago-In my opinion U wont'have nearly enuf time in 1 day to accomplish anywhere that - to see all in the Vatican alone took me three days and I didn't see every thing - you can pretty much get a quick 2 hour bus tour in an open top bus on the 110 RED bus from right outside the Termini train station for 16 euro which goes by approx 12 of the main Rome attractions. you could also visit St Peters late in the afternoon - the long line goes fast - this wud get U inside the vatican, but would not get you thru the popes graves, the Scavi tour, or the Vatican Museum of Sistine Chapel. GL

U might check out my new post "the good, the bad, the Ugly"

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ancient Rome Question

tuckerlake100,

respectfully, San Pietro in Vincoli (Saint Peter in chains) to whom Abbey is referring is not the same thing as the Vatican. It is a completely different church.

All the best,

P_M

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ancient Rome Question

AbbyAngels,

Here's what I think you might want to do with your Ancient Rome day. I've left out the two curches, for which you have already received advice.

The Roman Forum is open from 9:00 am to 18:00 or 19:00 - I'm not sure. There are entrances at both ends i.e. Colosseo and Campidoglio (very near to Piazza Venezia).

I'd start at the Campidoglio, taking a look at the 2nd century AD Roman insulae which buried some yards below street level at the food of the stairs. Then, climb the hill. Things to see in the Campidoglio hill area:

- the statue of Romulus and Remus with the she-wolf

- the Mamertine prison (supposedly the place of imprisonment of St. Peter)

- the general view of the Roman Forum (as the Capitol is elevated, from the far-left side of the square you get a great vantage point

- the statues for Castor and Pollux at the top of the capitol stairs; sculptures are ancient but the way they are set up was designed by Michelangelo (along with, BTW, the square itself)

- the temple of Jupiter where ancient Romans used to keep the treasury and the copper tablets archive

- the (copy of) Marcus Aurelius' bronze statue in the middle of the square (original is inside the museum)

- the Musei Capitolini (museum has two wings, approximate time 1-2 hours)

http://en.museicapitolini.org/

Then, enter & walk the Foro Romano; climb the Palatine, stroll around and visit the sites; get back to the Forum and come out at the other end (Colosseo) and stroll back on the Via dei Fori Imperiali.

Via dei Fori Imperiali is the axis of the ancient Roman civic area. It runs from the Colosseum to Piazza Venezia. Parallel to it, there is the Sacred Way (Via Sacra) inside the Roman Forum (Foro Romano). From the via dei Fori Imperiali, you can see several Emperors' Forums (Caesar, Nerva, Augustus). The most striking of them is the one of Trajan near Piazza Venezia.

Time allowing, you could go inside the churches of Santi Cosma e Damiano and the San Lorenzo in Miranda. They are both beautiful and incorporate elements the ancient Temple of Romulus and respectively the Temple of Antoninus Pius and Faustina.

The Basilica of Sts. Cosma and Damiano

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-santi-cos…

has remarkable 6th century Byzantine mosaics in the apse. But it is also as a great example of how an ancient Roman Forum structure was converted into a church.

A general plan describing some of the main monuments along this route exists at:

http://www.capitolium.org/eng/fori/pianta.htm

Lunch suggestion: one of my favorites in Rome (and not that expensive either) is eating in the old Jewish ghetto (the street name is "Portico d'Ottavia"). It's 5-7 minutes walk from the Campidoglio, you just need to go around the ancient Marcellus theatre and you will note a large ancient portico.

Italian Jewish cuisine differs from Italian standard and is well worth trying. Specialties include stuffed olives, fresh fish fillet cooked in a crust, cooked pumpkin flower, check it out at:

www.giggettoalporticodottavia.com/index.htm

The two places I know well are “Il Portico” (more of a cantina but food is great) and “Da Gigetto” (more pricy, can not say that it is necessarily better). They both offer largely similar menus and have outside tables, very nice for lunch or dinner IMO.

When you’re done, the taxi station is in Piazza Venezia. Or if this is right after lunch, you can ask the restaurant to call you one so you can save energy for the important stuff.

Another area rich in ancient monument and near the Campidoglio is the Forum Boarium (Santa Maria in Cosmedin):

roman-empire.net/tours/…forum-boarium.html

Also, the Area Sacra (Largo Torre Argentina) may interest you:

roman-empire.net/tours/rome/area-sacra.html

Hope some of this might help.

Best regards,

P_M

Angels Camp, CA
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ancient Rome Question

P M -- thank you for the detailed suggestions - they are really appreciated.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ancient Rome Question

An absolute pleasure. I see the link to Sts. Cosma and Damian has not pasted correctly:

sacred-destinations.com/italy/rome-santi-cos…

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ancient Rome Question

Hi --

You should be able to plan your day based on the map in your guide book. If you guide book doesn't have a map, you need to get a better one. Who knows what else you're missing.

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ancient Rome Question

A more careful reading of your post (reserving one day for visiting sights of ancient Rome)makes the suggestion below impractical but depending on the time you have available in the city you may consider the Baths of Caracalla (Terme di Caracalla), if for no other reason than to marvel at the amenities of the civilisation of the period.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ancient Rome Question

Peregrin lays out a nice plan, but I do want to add that you can no longer enter the forum from the Campidoglio (alas, it was my favorite way, too!) or the Colosseum ends, because now the Forum is no longer free; everyone must enter from the main ticket booth on via Fori Imperiali (near Cavour).

To give you advice for the sites you originally mentioned only:

Since June is hot, save the San Clemente Church for later in the day when you will enjoy ducking out of the mid-day blazing sun -- which means after lunch. And, see the forum as early in the day as you can to avoid crowds and lots of sun with little or no shade available.

I would follow Peregrins plan, climbing up to the Capitoline Hill, enjoying the square, but not going into the museums yet, then you can descend left of the Senate House (the center building on the Compidoglio square) and enjoy the view PM mentions, but now you can not enter into the forum from here; instead continue down the serpentine road which leads to Via Fori Imperiali and make your way to the ticket booth to enter the forum.

View the forum, make your way up to the Palatine if you wish, and then to the Colosseo. YOu can do all of this easily in the morning. If you've time, before S. Pietro in Vincoli closes, run up to see the Moses--it's only a few blocks from the Colosseum.

Then stop for lunch, PM gives you a nice choice in this area.

Then, make your way to San Clemente, which opens again in the afternoon--it's only a few blocks from the Colosseo, too, but in another direction.