We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

Is it possible and practical to attempt to do all of this in 1 day. Papal audience @ 10:30(have to be there early),tour of the Vatican through the Vatican and then scavi tour, (or switch last 2 around). Thank you

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

IMO a tour of the Vatican Museum takes most of a day. I would do the Papal Audience and the Scavi Tour on one day and devote another day to the Vatican Museum. You do realize that the Vatican Museum and St Peter's are two entirely different things, hopefully.

On day two do the Museum and when you finish at the Sistine Chapel go out the door to the right at the back and this will put you in the line for St. Peter's.

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,824 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
california
Level Contributor
126 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

We did all these things last March. We broke it all up into differnt days, but it would be possible to do the Scavi tour after the papel audence....that is depending on the time they give your for the Scavi tour.

ohio
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

thank you,first trip,pretty confusing,feel like I can't make real plans until I know if we have Papal audience tickets and Scavi tour tickets

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
390 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

I think it depends if you just want to hit the highlights of the museum or wander around. I think you could do them all if you were really focused and have alot of energy- have the audience, take a bite for lunch and do the tour and see the highlights. This would be alot for one day, however...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

We tried to do that but had to shorten our Vatican Museum part to make our scavi tour appointed time (which was very much worth it) and then we didn't have time to get back to do the museums more thoroughly since the basilica then took us another hour plus. Next year when we go we will be devoting as much time as we want to the Vatican Museums and not planning anything for afterwards. If we had to do it over again, we would break out the Vatican time to two days, one day for the Papal audience and scavi tour and Basilica and then go back the next day or go the previous day for the Vatican Museums. The museum hours have changed though, so it might be easier now, maybe Papal Audience, St. Peter's, scavi and then Museums. A very full day.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
30,610 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

Agree with previous posters, would be really hard to squeeze into one day. Also, I applied for the Savi tour a month or more out and didn't hear our date until a week before our trip. And it wasn't the day I had preferred. Anyway, that's something that you need to consider...

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,302 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

It is a privilage to go on the Scavi tour so you take whatever time they give you - and it is well worth it. You end up in the Basilica so do not have to que to get in. If you just want to see the Sistine Chapel you still have to go through the Vatican museum first and even if you do not stop to see any of the treasures it will still take you quite a while. I guess you will have to wait to see if you get audience and Scavi tickets and go from there ( if you decide not to go to one of those please advise them so they can give someone else your places). Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,824 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

Are you planning to visit the Vatican Museums or just St. Peter's Basilica, as your subject line indicates? If you are not going to the Museums (where the Sistine Chapel is), it's all very doable. If you also want to see the Museums and the Sistine Chapel, it's a very tight schedule.

You can visit the Basilica before the Papal Audience, since you have to be there early anyway. It opens at 7 AM. Here is an excellent web site which gathers all the scattered information:

www.saintpetersbasilica.org/touristinfo.htm

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
30,610 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
32,746 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
15,824 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
9. Re: papal audience,St. Peter's and scavi tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 16:16