We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help - info needed about adaptors

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Please help - info needed about adaptors

Hi, I'm a tad confooooosed!

I'm travelling from Australia to Italy and the only thing I need an adptor for is to recharge our digital cameras - I'm not taking any other electrical devices.

I seem to get conflicting reports from people here in Australia.

I have purchased an "adaptor for Europe" as it says on the front of the packet. A 2 prong adaptor.

On the back of the packet it says, "IMPORTANT: Adaptors do not convert voltage. In 110v countries (Australia is 240v) it may also be necessary that your appliance is dual voltage".

Will I need something to convert the voltage?

I have a Panasonic DMC-FX12 digital camera. At the back of the instruction booklet it says,

"Input: 110V to 240V ~ 50/60 Hz, 0.2 A"

"Output: CHARGE 4.2 V ----0.8 A"

I am such a girl when it comes to these things, I have no idea!!!

How can I find out the correct ifo - I don't want to blow up our cameras!!!

I look forward to all your advice.

Grazie,

Melissa

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,948 reviews
from US$76.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$411.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,814 reviews
from US$123.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,601 reviews
from US$57.20*
US$63.50
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
520 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

You should be fine. A lot of digital cameras are dual voltage and since you have been functioning okay at 240, the adaptor you bought will be to accomdodate the 2-prong European sockets.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

110 volts is what we in North America use. If you had done a search here on the forum before shopping, you wouldn't have had such a scare - this information is covered 5 or 10 times a week.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

I had the camera before I organised this trip.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

Aussiegirl you have actually answered your own question.

<<On the back of the packet it says, "IMPORTANT: Adaptors do not convert voltage. In 110v countries (Australia is 240v) it may also be necessary that your appliance is dual voltage".>>

This means that if you travel to a country that uses 110 volts (USA for example) you will need a dual voltage appliance (one that works at both voltages - often with a switch from 240V to 110 V) as well as the adaptor which only changes the shape of the plug.

Italy is 220V and Australian 240V appliances work perfectly in Italy.

<<I have a Panasonic DMC-FX12 digital camera. At the back of the instruction booklet it says,

"Input: 110V to 240V ~ 50/60 Hz, 0.2 A"

"Output: CHARGE 4.2 V ----0.8 A">>

This tells you that your camera charger works on 110volt to 240 volt. There are no switches to worry about as it will work anywhere in that range. So even if you go to the US it will still work.

You just need to plug your charger into the adaptor and then plug the adaptor into the socket.

<<I am such a girl when it comes to these things, I have no idea!!!>> I'm a girl too! But I hope I have explained it for you.

Enjoy your holiday and take lots of photos!

HarleyB

London, England
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

And one other odd thing I noticed recently when travelling to Rome, Pisa, etc in central or Northern Italy, as opposed to my more regular trips to Puglia in the south, is that there are different sized pins on the round 2-in sockets between Northern (thick) and Southern Europe (thin pin- without earths).

I have two different adaptor sets, as Puglia tends to the slimmer Southern style (plug pins that is). I'm sure yours will be the more sophisticated fat Northern ones which will be fine for Rome! A metaphor for life?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

Thanks Alex, yes, I have the 2 'fat' prong adaptor.

We won't be heading any further south than Rome so I should be fine.

Grazie :o)

7. Re: Please help - info needed about adaptors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 23:17