We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lst class vs 2nd class on trains

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
lst class vs 2nd class on trains

What is the major difference between lst and 2nd class on a ES* & IC plus train besides cost? Do the trains allhave air conditioning?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

Dear Caphill,

I think the major difference between First and Second class trains is how crowded they are. I've travelled 2nd class Eurostar, Intercity and Euro City trains, and they were nice trains with airconditioning. I've travelled 1st class this summer on mostly Eurostar trains. They gave us free drinks (nonalcoholic) and a snack! The seats were wide and roomy and comfortable. Both 2nd and 1st class trains are perfectly acceptable.

Caio!

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

BerkeleyTraveller, Since you've travelled on lst and 2nd class trains, how much room do you have to store your luggage. Is the luggage placed beside you or is there a rack above your seat? We will have two pieces of luggage total.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

Dear Caphill,

This summer we travelled by First Class trains-3 Eurostar and one Intercity-. There is a rack above your head, which easily fit most sized cases. On the Eurostar trains there is an inverted V between many of the seats, and we were able to slip our cases in that inverted V. I also remember slipping a small bag under another seat, but can't remember which train it was on. There is also an area, usually near the door, with racks on which large suitcases can be stowed.

The only trouble we saw people having is when they had huge bags. In that situation, we were riding on the Intercity train from Venice to Milan. Two older Italian ladies boarded with 2 large bags, which they were not able to hoist onto the overhead rack. One of the young men sitting near us helped her. The other suitcase was placed between the two ladies. We actually exchanged seats with them, because they had reserved the window seats, but they found it easier to deal with the suitcases by sitting opposite each other on the aisle. This, of course, worked well for us. When we all exited Milan, the two ladies shook everyone's hand for helping them.

Caio and buona fortuna!

New York
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

what is the difference between the Regionale and Iintercity train. Do they both have air cond. We will be riding from Rome Termini to the port Civitavecchia, there are plenty of Regional train, and only 1 Intercity train per hour. Are the Regional train is very crowd? Do you recommen to pay more money to ride the Intercit (16euro vs 50 euro for 4 of us). Thanks.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

Dear Mimi111,

The regional trains I've ridden on were fine. Since they are regional, they differ from region to region. They are often smaller than IC trains, and some, alas, are not air conditioned. Do you know how far your journey is? Usually IC trains are much quicker than regional trains. Beware the "Rapido" which is not rapid at all, and makes all the stops and I do mean all. If you don't mind a leisurely trip, and the cost is significant, then you might want to take a regional train. If time is of concern, you may want to take the IC train. Have you checked out Trenitalia.com? I'm not sure if they show regional train schedules, but you should check it out.

Buona fortuna and caio!

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lst class vs 2nd class on trains

regional trains are not air conditioned, as a general rule, and tend to be a lot dirtier and less on time than intercity trains. IC's make fewer stops and have more likelihood of running on time.