We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Orvieto

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Orvieto

Is it worth going to Orvieto for a day trip and returning to Rome in the evening? Sights? food suggestions?

Cooper City, Fl
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Orvieto

On June 17, 2005 my husband and I hired a private limousine driver to pick us up at our hotel in Rome and drive us to Orvieto. It is a beautiful drive and Orvieto is well worth the 1 1/2 hr drive outside of Rome. There are great resturants and wonderful shopping for unique ceramics. It is a charming town.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Orvieto

Orvieto is a great place. About an hour and fifteen minutes north of Rome by train. See the duomo, take the underground tour (tickets sold at the tourist office opposite the duomo), checkout the well and walk the walls. Enjoy yourself.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Orvieto

For a meal I recommend Pozzo EtruscoD'Aronne for a great meal. It's located at Piazza Ranieri 1/4-2, away from the main squares. The menu is only in Italian and the staff doesn't speak much English but the food is excellent. I love the pasta with tartufo!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Orvieto

I wouldn't actually recommend the walk down and back up the famous well. It is deep, dark and pretty expensive and that is about it.

Memphis
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Orvieto

I think it's well worth the trip. We drove to Orvieto from Florence & then took the train to Rome (to avoid drving in Rome). The train was not much over an hour, they ran fairly late, & were clean & on time. The funicular (bus) will run you up to the walled city from the train station; maybe a 10-15 ride with fabulous scenery going to the top of the hill.

Orvieto was one of our favorite stops. There's a restaurant call La Champagneria (sp?) that is a must do. It was fabulous. The chef decides the menu each day based on what she picks up @ the market. Velia & her husband are without equal in the host/hostess category.

Also, the duomo is gorgeous & the view from the top of the clock tower is breathtaking.

I heartily recommend this day trip; and would also recommend travelling by train.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Orvieto

We plan to visit Rome next week and are spending a day in Orvieto.

I was impressed by the towns and villages in Tuscany and I read in this forum that a number of people preferred Orvieto

United States
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to Orvieto

We LOVED Orvieto. I have to put it in caps so you can feel how much we really loved it. :) The only bad part is that we went on a day tour that also took us to Assisi which we also LOVED. Had we known it was going to be so beautiful, we would have just taken the train and spent an entire day in each place.

8. Re: day trip to Orvieto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 08:16