We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - Please critique

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - Please critique

(I have also put this question in Italy Forum)

Coming to Italy for 10 days in September, with 4 additional days in Munich for Oktoberfest. Where would you spend your time? This is what we were thinking...

Rome - 4 nights

Take train along coast to Liverno (?) Is there anything there to see? If not, where do you suggest we stop? We were hoping somewhere on the coast.

Over to Florence - 2 nights

Venice - 2 nights

Salzberg, Austria on way to Munich - 1 night

Munich - 4 nights

We only have reservations in Rome and Munich so everything else is flexible. Thanks for your help!!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

Skip the train ride to Livorno, It's not that special as compared to visiting Florence and Venice.

If you have never been to Florence and Venice then you should do this. You will see plenty of water in Venice.

Salzburg is a nice stopover and Munich will be alot of fun.

If you have been to Florence and Venice then reply back and we can give you some other alternatives.

Enjoy!!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

I have not been to Florence or Venice. First time to Italy, so trying to figure it all out. If you have an idea of a totally different, better schedule, I am all ears. THANKS!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

Hi Becky,

You have picked a very nice schedule!!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

THanks - what do you know about Bologna? Worth stopping?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

I really like Bologna. It is a University town and has some very nice architecture inlcuding some interesting leaning towers.

However, I wouldn't plan to stop there for your first trip since Florence is such an incredible city and is really worth more time than you have right now.

If you enjoy Italy after this trip, then definitely plan a follow up trip. There is so much to see here.

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

Thanks, you have been really helpful. Sort of what I was thinking, but you just don't want to miss out on anything! :-) Speaking of stops, and now that I have you, what are the fares on the trains. People keep telling me to go to trentalia.com, but it is pretty confusing to me. I will also be going to Paris after Munich, should I get a 3 country pass or something or ?? If you can help with that, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

I would not buy a pass. They are not good value. Purchase the tickets point to point. They can be purchased after you get to Italy.

In order to find out the ticket prices and the train schedules then go to the website www.trenitalia.com.

click on English. In the reservation section, put in tomorrow's date. For the departure;put in Rome;for arrival put in Florence. It will now show all the train schedules for that route. choose a fast train to Florence such as a Eurostar or AV train by clicking the grocery cart on the right. It will ask you for a fare schedule;click on Amica(discount) if available;then it will show both fares for 1st and 2nd class Choose the 2nd class since they are cheaper and similar seats to the first class.

Try this for all of your routes so you get an idea of the schedule and the prices for your entire trip.

Use the German railsite(www.bahn.de) for schedule and fares. sometimes is the same or cheaper to fly. Use www.flylc.com to find inexpensive airflights from Munich to Berlin.

Print off the train schedules which apply to your trip then take them with you to Italy.

Good Luck!!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

Thanks! I was looking at a map last night....would it be out of the question to hit the Cinque Terre on this trip? Like, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Venice, then on to Austria, Munich?

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

Cinque Terre is going to eat up some time so you would need to skip one or two of the other cites like Venice or Salzburg in order to fit it in.

Remember when you do trip planning that every time you add a destination then you add time for travel,checkin in and out of hotels. The result is that you have extra dead time;sitting in a taxi,a train station waiting for a connection,buying tickets,etc. What happens is that the person planning may go a little crazy trying to keep everyone one together and happy.

Good Luck Travel Planner!!

Wenatchee...
Level Contributor
440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary - Please critique

That is a very good point on losing time....I guess if we don't see it this time, we will just have to come back again! Nice problem to have. Thanks so much!