We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel near termini station

midlands
4 posts
Save Topic
hotel near termini station

Hi I am staying near the termini station is this a good central place to stay, whats the area like is it a good base or more of a getto.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: hotel near termini station

I used to work in Rome for a Scandinavian tour operator in the late 80s, and I was recently back in Rome. If you choose to stay around Stazione Termini (where there are undoubtedly a lot of hotels) there are two major draw-backs, the seediness of the area (esp. after dark) AND the fact that you will be reliant on either taxi fares or local transportation because most tourist sites are a bit off (unless you care to walk 20-30 minutes every time you go out for sightseeing - and since you will most certainly walk a LOT in Rome, I personally would rather book a more central hotel). The area around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo dei Fiori is much more centrally located both when it comes to sightseeing, shopping and going out to eat. (the only drawback is that there aren't nearly as many hotels in that area)

When it comes to the risk of being robbed, you're probably more likely to get hit around the major tourist attractions or on a crowded bus/underground train rather than your hotel area, so I wouldn't let that risk influence too much on choice of hotel.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
390 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: hotel near termini station

Stayed near to termini as a group of 6 ladies in October and seemed to be in the better part north of the station as the area to teh south seemed dodgy at night. Where we were at the Hotel Canada see details on venere.com felt very safe and we were able to walk to our hotel OK and the restaurants were lovely. Never felt at all worried walking from termini to hotel. A couple of the girls walked through the other side of termini at night and were told by the police to get out as it was rough at night. If in doubt go by taxi it is cheap and safe. At leasetbeing near to Termini there is bus and train and underground so we thought it was a good spot.

St. Louis, MO
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: hotel near termini station

Be cautious! This is a high crime area and noisy. What are you looking for? Obviously you are close to public transportation, but there are some better choices out there. Consider your budget, review the Rome Hotels page on Trip Advisor, and check out Expedia. I find they have the best prices. Also see:

lonelyplanet.com/destinations/…togo

and

www.letsgo.com/ROMA/01-Discover-19…

Best of luck!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: hotel near termini station

We stayed at Hotel Gallia. Termini isnt as bad as some mails make out.

Houston
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: hotel near termini station

We stayed in Hotel Lazzari in June 05 ( we just got back) and never felt unsafe. This area has a lot of restaurants and cafes nearby, and is about 7-10 long blocks to the train station. It's in the same building as Hotel Castelfidardo and B&B Andy & Lu. The B&B had airconditioning, which would've been nice during an unexpected heat wave. Go to venere.com and read user reviews if you have time. That site is helpful as well. Anyway, you should be careful wherever you go; as long as you're conscious of your surroundings, you should be fine. Quick note: some hotels like you to leave your key when you leave the hotel during the day. I never do this because I was robbed once in Ravello many years ago because I did leave my key with the management.

Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: hotel near termini station

Stayed at the SAS Raddison which is very close to Termini. The area is a little seedy but, in my view, not unsafe - just keep your wits about you.

cannot recommend the Hotel though, a little too waky for my liking - green shag pile carpet and rubber flooring are not top of my list