We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
390 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

For the experts- I've been charting routes with the excellent bus tips you've given us and I've mapped out that from the apartment to Vatican its only 1800 meters which is doable for us.- but am wondering about walking on this street- Via della Lungara- I have plans to walk it twice, so I am wanting to get some feedback on how walkable it is, does it have sidewalks? Is it better or worse than walking on the large Lungotevere along the river? Also the intersection of Via della Lungara at Piazza della Rovere, will we be able to cross here at all or easily? And can you view the city walls near here, I see them on the map at the edge of the park.

ALSO- Da Giovanni restaurant was recommended by a guidebook on Via della Lungara 41A, has anyone eaten here? It seems like a kinda out of the way spot, but would work well for us to go walking the Passeggiata di Gianicolo after. Thanks for all your help! Jennifer

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

Jennifer,

You can walk along Lungara and you can cross Piazza d. Rovere; it is a very wide, very busy intersection, so proceed with caution, but yes, I often cross there myself. Lungara is fine but not all that charming at points between Villa Farnesina and the Vatican, but really just a simple neighborhood walk. It's a little more difficult to walk along the Tiber at Lungotevere d. Gianicolense because the terrain changes a bit, but either way, you'll figure it out.

About the city walls along your walk:

Near the Ponte Sisto, the street V. d. Settimiana will turn into Lungara after you cross under an old 'porta' or gate to the city. This is a very lovely piazza at the gate, which has a nice coffee shop nearby on V. D. Scala, and the piazza is home to Romolo, which is a wonderful restaurant with internal courtyard. As you walk toward the Vatican, you will also pass by Villa Farnesina, Palazzo Corsini (now an art gallery), and the Botanical Gardens (1/2 block in).

Up at Piazza d. Rovere, cross the street and take V. Porta S. Spirito to walk along the Vatican walls. Along this little street you will enjoy the wall (the street changes names to V. dei Penitenziari). I would turn left at the end of the little street, onto Borgo S. Spirito, and take it up to S. Peters. Doing this you will find yourselves at the left colonnade of Bernini, which is surprising, rather than walking up V. Della Conciliazione, which takes all the surprise and fun out of discovering the basilica (in my humble opinion).

If you don't want to walk, remember the buses run along the Tiber river going southbound along the Trastevere side (right bank) and running north along the left bank.

Another nice Italian casual restaurant I like is called Miraggio Club, Via Lungara 16A (near Villa Farnesina). See miraggioclub.com.

La Quinta...
Level Contributor
390 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

Thank you Solo, so helpful as always!

Two questions, will we be able to push a stroller along Via della Lungara? Is there a sidewalk or enough room? And is there a light at the intersection? My big fear is getting mauled by Italian traffic :) Any other suggestions about this area are very much appreciated.

Thank you so much for taking the time to list the cafe and restaurants, they sound perfect! I can only hope they might be open in August, I know we are taking our chances- are they both appropriate for kids?

Thanks again Jennifer

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

I haven't walked the entire length of Via della Lungara, but I know that parts of it, at least, have no sidewalks. However, the traffic wasn't intense. The existence of a sidewalk is no guarantee that you can push a stroller, as I learned on a recent trip to Rome with my daughter and granddaughter. The sidewalks are often narrow and filled with obstructions: motorcycles, trees, dumpsters, you name it. Also, there is a tendency for cars to park bumper to bumper all around the intersection, so sometimes you can't find a place to cross that has room for a stroller, without making a big detour.

4. Re: Walking Via della Lungara- Trastevere to Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 20:17