We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teenagers in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
teenagers in Rome

Does anyone have ideas for thing to do in the evenings? I have 2 teenagers (15 & 18) and they would like to have some fun in the evening.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teenagers in Rome

Dinner in Rome doesn't start till 7 pm. the restaurants close between lunch and dinner. Dinner can consume 2 hours of the evening, so fun couldn't start til 9 pm.

The national Rome Museums Like the Capitoline Museum, Palazzo massimo alle terme, Palazzo Altemps, and Palazzo Corsino are open til 8 pm if you can hold out and eat an later dinner.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teenagers in Rome

Teens love hanging out at Piazza di Spagna, Piazza Navona, and Campo dei Fiori (late). They can walk between any of these and they will find they are walking along with loads of people making an evening stroll between the piazzas. Especially fun and mostly pedestrian-only is the walk between the Trevi and the Pantheon -- and then on to Piazza Navona only a few blocks further. Also a few blocks from Navona is Campo dei Fiori, but be aware that there are a lot of english-speaking bars that cater to young people in the Campo so the crowd is young and fun, but drinking late into the night and early morning.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teenagers in Rome

"Also a few blocks from Navona is Campo dei Fiori, but be aware that there are a lot of english-speaking bars that cater to young people in the Campo so the crowd is young and fun, but drinking late into the night and early morning."

Ha! Solo Roma! I think I would have worded this... "... but BEWARE that..."

In the evening, the bars around the Campo have become very Americanized. Happy hours, 2 for one pricing, jello shots, Jack Daniels and the like. There seems to be a lot of drunken behavior (and ALL that that entails). Mostly by kids with hormone clouded judgement and training-wheeled drinking credentials.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teenagers in Rome

Tennisgirlie,

Our dear EternalCity has given you a less pc but more accurate answer! That said, don't be afraid to let the teens hang there early in the evening. Things don't usually get out of hand until midnight or so.

Eternal,

Your edit made me laugh out loud! Stai bene,

SR

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teenagers in Rome

I don't think I would want my 15 year old hanging out alone in Campo Fiori with all the drinking I have heard described there. I am not sure it is a good idea for the 18 year old to go there alone (maybe OK with another 18 year old).

besides the drinking, Men get more forward when drunk, which is why it would be safer to go there in pairs. I would let my 18 year old son go there alone.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teenagers in Rome

Just to clarify my comments...

During the day I love the market in the Campo. I enjoy renting apartments in the area, staying about 3-5 blocks away. I enjoy dining at the local restaurants and shopping in the nearby shops.

But, I avoid the party crowd...

The weekends and after sporting events (after 11 p.m.) are the worst times. Conversely, they are the best times if you go in for that sort of thing... :-)'

I'm not a prude, and enjoy a good bit of fun myself, but was shocked and appalled at some of the behavior I witnessed there on our last trip. I was ashamed that the drunks involved were young Americans too.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,050 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: teenagers in Rome

I have been to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps (Piazza Spanga) after dark. If they want to hang out there without Mom, it might be OK.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: teenagers in Rome

Trastevere is fun in the evening for teens, but again, late in the evening, there are lots of drunken northern Europeans hanging out and misbehaving.

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: teenagers in Rome

Oh, dear, I think we are starting to sound a bit alarmist. I should think your 15 & 18 year old would have to be home by 11pm or midnight, in which case they are fine at any of the places we have mentioned. Things don't get rowdy until the very late hours of the evening/early morning, so I want to make sure you are not worried at all.

My kids (boys) are 16 & 18 and they've been walking around Rome at night and in the very piazzas we've mentioned since they were about 13 & 15. They especially like to bring visiting friends to Campo dei Fiori because it's filled with young people, but they also like to walk from Navona to the Trevi, hitting the Pantheon along the way. This way they've got loads of entertainment going on in the piazzas and the blocks between them are always populated by lots of other walkers. Sometimes they like to walk straight down the Corso to get to the Spanish Steps because the street becomes pedestrian only at the north third and is packed with people walking, window-shopping etc.

No harm has ever come to them.

If you mean that you'd like to join them in the evening, then I'd do all of the above mentioned with them; it's great fun grabbing a gelato along the way and wandering in and out of the busy piazzas at night. Also, --with parents--, it's nice to walk up the Capitoline HIll to see the forum lit for night, and then walk over along Via Fori Imperiali toward the Colosseo to see all the monuments lit up and looking good.

10. Re: teenagers in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 06:22