We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best neighborhood for a hotel

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best neighborhood for a hotel

We're planning to stay in Rome for a week in late November. Now trying to decide where best to stay and weighing pros and cons of various neighborhoods. Ideal would be place for $175/night close to the historic center. Guidebooks suggest that the area around the train station may be too skeevy. Where else would you recommend?

thanks

J

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

Check www.venere.com. It's a hotel booking site that allows you to see prices, number of stars, location, photos, reviews, etc. It's very easy to book and cancel right on the website. Typically there's no penalty for cancelling as long as you do so within the required period (usually 4-5 days up to 24 hours prior to arrival).

As for location, you may want to consider the Pantheon or Colosseum areas. Both are pretty centrally located. Look for a three-star. Rooms will be very small most likely, but clean. Look for one that offers breakfast, which will likely be lite, but good.

We typically book more than one property on Venere, and then cancel what we're not going to use. If you like, feel free to use my discount code; it's 9TABYKD. It will save a little. Not much, but definitely enough for a few extra gelati.

I personally don't have a problem staying in the Termini area, but staying in the Centro Storico (historic district) is fun.

Have a great trip, and take a warm jacket.

Vicki

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

I love the Campo d'Fiori, Piazza Navona, Pantheon area. Wonderful, very much a neighborhood feel around there, I thought so anyway....

Enjoy!

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

The word they use for Termini isn't skeevy, it's seedy. Seedy doesn't mean dangerous. In Rome it evidently means that there is a lot of graffiti - which is true. Dangerous it is not.

I often travel to Rome without my husband and I've stayed in that area several times over the years and wandered through it going to accommodation in other areas, and I've never had a problem even when laden with luggage as I made my way after dark.

Your problem isn't going to be choosing an area, it's going to be meeting your budget. Your $175 USD is equal to about €110, and that's not a generous budget for Rome, even in November.

Go to www.venere.com and see if any of their listings appeal to you. Check the reviews there and here on the forum, and make your decision.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
83 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

Hello,

I would suggest you to take hotel near Rome terminie as its well connected. Also its easier to catch trains to other destinations early in morning if u are located near rome terminie.

I have blogged few of my experiences check out them

bye

Meg

http://traveller1234.blogspot.com

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

Every area has its pros and cons. Every one except if you gi to the very very expensive hotels near Via Veneto or right in Piazza del Popolo or on top of the Spanish steps, but that's going to cost you a fortune I believe. My general advice is to NOT discard any particular area, PROVIDED it's not far from the center. It doesn't even have to be right in the center of the city, but close enough to it. In other words, take a compass, and make a 2 kilometrs circle centered on Piazza Colonna (that's where the government's building stands). Choose an hotel inside the circle. That's the essential criterion. Beyond that, it is a matter of trade-offs between indivudal streets and hotels.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

I find the area around Termini charmless and unappealing. I am also an early morning runner and do not enjoy running in that part of Rome.

We enjoy staying near Borghese Park close to Via Veneto or near the Colosseum. The Navona area is simply too crowded.

I agree that your budget will not allow you to be very selective. Romeby.com is a good source of info about 2 star properties and B&Bs that might be in your range.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

I've just booked with bed and breakfast association of Rome and they had plenty of apartments and bed and breakfasts in and near that area in your price range (especially Trestevere) but Campo d' Fiori, etc... I don't know if they're still available for November as of the 10 I asked about for next March only 5 were still available.... cross-pollinate had some in your price range also.

Enjoy!

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

I like hotels in and around the Campo de Fiore. There are hotels that are reasonably priced in the area that are well located. It's very close to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona but also walkable to the Vatican or Spanish Steps although it's farther. There are also a lot of places to eat. Rick Steves lists several options in his guide book. I like Hotel Smeraldo. It's nothing special but it's clean, well located, and not very expensive.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,214 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

For me, the best neighboarhood to stay, is Coppedde neighbordhood.

In January this year I was hosted with my family at bed and breakfast: "My Life" at the Coppedde neighbourhood, near Villa Borghese, a quiet and elegant neighbourhood ,15 minutes from the historic centre of Rome.

The hostel is served personally by their owners, friendly and generous people with their huèspedes and prepare a breakfast abundant, delicious and complete.

The cameras are simple, but broad, clean, orderly and with private bath.

My family and I were very happy and remained satisfied, and certainly I recommend. More information I give you the website:

http://www.bedandbreakfastmylife.it/dove.asp

Good trip!!!

byeeee!!

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best neighborhood for a hotel

Dear Knotso,

With your budget, you may want to rent an apartment instead of staying in a hotel. I've used Rentalinrome.com, with great success. They have apartments in the Trevi Fountain, Campo dei Fiori, Piazza Navona and Trastevere areas, which are in the historic center, for 110 Euros and less.

Buono viago!

BT