We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Apartment

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/Apartment

We have just booked our trip to Italy for May 2009. Can anyone suggest a good area/hotel/apartment for about 4 days in Rome? We plan to go into Tuscany, Venice and walk the Cinque Terre - with nothing booked yet - so any recommendations are welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Apartment

Read my review of the Muratte Loft which is owned by the Relais Fontana Di Trevi

…tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d65…

For us (3 adults) it was an incredible bargain.

We paid 150 euro a night, plus 10 euro for the 3rd person's breakfast.

I slept on the pullout sofa and it was comfortable.

If you search using Gooogle for "Muratte Loft"

you will find pictures and videos of this apartment which is just over the Forno Bakery, supposed to be the oldest Bakery in Rome.

When we first arrived and I opend the window overlooking the Trevi Fountain...a few people on a walking tour under the window took my picture. I felt like George Cluney.

Look it up..if the price works for you - it is very much like the description and pictures. However the camera angles of the professional pictures is very kind...it's not as big as it looks but its far larger than hotel room.

Note: It does not have a telephone if that is an issue for you.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Relais Fontana Di Trevi
Relais Fontana Di Trevi
882 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
80,187 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Apartment

Take a look at www.RomanReference.com

We've used their services 3 times now with great success. Last October ('07) we stayed here:

romanreference.com/appartamento.php?refid=176

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel/Apartment

oh and remember when you are looking:

The second floor is called the first

and so on...

Take the floor number quoted and add 1.

Remember that most buildings have high ceilings so the flights of stairs often have more steps than in a modern building.

Even if there is an elevator... remember that these are mostly old buildings with small elevators and when if it breaks, you're going to have to use the stairs.

I don't mind stairs myself but when you have luggage it can be a pain.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel/Apartment

Thank you for the recommendations - and all the helpful advice! I'll check out the Muratte Loft and RomanReference. We've been to France/Spain so have some familiarity with walk-ups. We always plan to pack with that in mind..somehow never seem to :-(

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Spain
Spain
Europe
Adelaide
Level Contributor
19 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel/Apartment

We stayed in the Residenza Ca'Foscolo in Venice which was excellent. There were 5 of us so we had a big apartment which was 300 euro per night. Dont know the prices of the smaller ones but it was spotless, in a good location and well appointed.Not old and atmospheric but ikeaish with an excellent aircon (although the building is old and interesting).

www.cafoscolo.com

Mentioned in this post
La Residenza
La Residenza
497 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Brisbane
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel/Apartment

We just returned from Italy and now have a love affair with this country. In Rome we rented an apartment for 3 days in the Trastevere (historical area) and it was beautiful and in the best location. Check out holiday-velvet.com. Our apartment was called "Cedro" We also went to Tuscany and stayed in Sienna and San Gimimagno. The web site Venere.com is an excellent site for honest reviews and photos. We continued on to the Cinque Terra and stayed in Monterosso and just found a place when we arrived...it was Albergo Stella Della Marina....and was everything we could hope for.

If you want and other tips, please don't hesitate to write as it helps me relive my holiday experiences.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,512 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Albergo Stella
Albergo Stella
41 Reviews
Casciana Terme, Italy
scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel/Apartment

I didn't read back just now

but I think the best place for apt reviews

is at www.slowtravel.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel/Apartment

Thank you, you have all been so helpful - I have lots of research to do on all your suggestions. We are now 4 travellers instead of 2 so are hoping to find a house (villa) to ourselves in Tuscany. Also need to rent a car large enough for 4 adults - 4 suitcases! Advice?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel/Apartment

Hi very jealous 'cause we have just returned from a trip so similar to yours( May/ June 2008)and glad to assist. Firstly, I don't believe you need a car in the Cinque Terre Venice or Florence; it would probably be a nuisance .Try organise it that you take the car when you are going to do Tuscany.By the way Florence is in Tuscany but we were advised by T/A members NOT to try drive in Florence.we listened and it was the best advice.We stayed at a really great little family run hotel in Monterosso in the Cinque Terre called Villa Steno.Can also give you advice on other hotels, areas to visit and where to stay deopending on your budget and how long you intend being in each place so please let me know if you need any further assistance.You are sooooooooooooo lucky..We are hooked on Italy!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Hotel Villa Steno
Hotel Villa Steno
1,347 Reviews
Monterosso al Mare, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
10. Re: Hotel/Apartment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2009, 23:32