We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norrkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

The Trambusopen Archeobus leaves the Termini Station at 0830 0900 0930 1000 and later 1500 1530 1600 1630.

If I take the 0900, and go off at Catacombe di San Callisto and take there guided tour, will it be a problem to catch the 1000 bus back?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

Normally a tour in a catacomb lasts for about 45 mins up to 1 hour. San Callisto's are always a bit crowded; it means that it could happen to wait a bit before the tour starts. I would opt for the nearby Santa Domitilla's or even San Sebastiano where the wasted time is less and you won't risk to miss the bus.

Ciao Daniela

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
141 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

Rome 70 has a good point - I was just in Rone and did both of the catacombs mentioned - the tours were a very small group.

There is a public bus (#118?) that you can take back to Circo Maximo and then take the Metro to Termini or wherever (bus / Metro on the same Euro ticket).

IMB

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

The 118 bus goes back ot the Circo Maximo bus stop. See this transit map

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

You can also walk past the tomb of Cecilia Metella (which is very beautiful)

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

and catch the 660 bus there (red line on the transit map).

It will go back to the Colli-Albani metro stop on Line A asnd you can get to Termin from there.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,054 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

Good luck getting on the Archeobus. The last tow times I tried to buy tickets, they were sold out for the day at 10 am. Since the bus only goes as far as the tomb of Cecilia Metella now (it used to go all the way ot the aqueduct park), it really doesn't seem worth it. The Roma passes I buy cover getting on and off the city bus and Metro as much as i want. The buses run every half hour.

Norrkoping, Sweden
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

The Archebus has 14 stops listed on the homepage.

Stop 8 is San Callisto that I want to visit.

After bus stop 12, will the bus stop again at 8, (that it pass on it´s way back to stop 13)?

I was thinking taking the Archebus bus out, to get the guided tour of the area and then the line 118 back later.

But if the Archbus don´t stop at 8 on the way back, there will not be so much guided tour over the area (only to stop 8, instead of 12) so then I can then take 118 out as well.

6. Re: Archeobus (Catacombe in 1 hour?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 15:19