We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help on rome itinerary

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
help on rome itinerary

Hi all,

I am posting this for my parents who will be going to rome in 2 weeks. They will arrive rome on a Sunday morning at 630am, and they will leave rome to florence on the 5th day. I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments as i haven't been to rome myself. thanks in advance!

Day 1

Piazza del Colosseo/Piazza Bocca Della Verita/Piazza Venesia

Day 2

Vatican

Day 3

Fotana di Trevi/Piazza della Rotando/Cheisa Santa Maria Sopra Minerva/Chiesa di San Luigi dei Francesi/

Piazza Navona/Piazza della Repubblica/Cheisa di Santa Maria degli Angeli

Day 4?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
690 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help on rome itinerary

how about the Colosseum, Roman Forum and other ancient Rome sites? Don't forget the Pantheon! Also, there are a handful of pilgrimage churches if that's something they're interested in... Santa Maria Maggiore, San Clemente, San Giuliano de Laterano, Santa Maria della Vittoria, etc.

europe
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: help on rome itinerary

You can visit the Roman forum, the catacumbs, San Peter in chain,Navona square,the Capitol hill,Palatine hill....

Tour first the Colosseum, the forum are,near each other and the catacumbs(you need a cab for this) , after Capitol hill, Piazza Venisia, piazza dela rotonda and Trevi fountain.

If you take a look at the map, Navona, Pantheon, San Luigi ai Francesi, Minerva are very near.

Choose to tour considering the area more close each other, you can save time and you feet!

Francois

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help on rome itinerary

hello muffine:

What about "Villa Borghese" and Borghese Museums!!! and Arch Tito and Arch Constantino nearby Colisseum.

San Giovanni Laterano Church , too!!!

Nice Journey!!!!

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help on rome itinerary

me again!!!

I forgot.."Castell Sant Angelo", over Tevere river!!!

Bye!!!

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help on rome itinerary

Just returning from Rome, I would add the Trastevere district including Farnesina villa and Janiculus hill (great view !).

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help on rome itinerary

Sorry, it was not all: second recommendation is that they shoudn't miss the Ghetto area, especially palazzo Mattei and Theatro di Marcello.

boston
Level Contributor
93 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help on rome itinerary

wow, thanks so much everyone for your input! i will certainly relay these messages to them!

do you think the vatican will take up a whole day?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help on rome itinerary

I think it will depend on how much art they want to see plus the sistine chapel and st peters...I personally can not spend that much time...but there is a place to eat there so they can break up their day...

there seem to be many tour companies that offer different kinds of tours too...if you put vatican tours in the search part of this forum you will see many options...

NJ
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help on rome itinerary

I think that you got a lot of good advice. Be aware that lines to all attractions are mile-long and book tickets in advace to whatever you can. For older folks standing it heat for hours might be a problem. Vatican can be booked in advance.

As far as Florence.... unless you are not a true Italian paintings lover, I would skip Uffizi...It is my personal perception, but it was pretty dissapointing compared to other galleries in Europe. Lots of paintings were missing form the walls, people were "navigated" thru the rooms and portaits series in hallway were hanging at the ceiling hight - I wonder who was able to look at these considering that it was pretty dark.

We booked this one in advance and still were waiting in line to get in.

The "no prebooking line" was incredibly long.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help on rome itinerary

I wouldn't spend a whole day in a museum, it is too much !

Regarding Uffizi: we booked in advance and had no queue; it was 3 weeks ago, so at the most busiest time of the year. Select a few painters / paintings you want to see and don't try to see everything.

I don't agree with previous poster: we did actually like the Uffizi museum very much, all of us including our teenagers who don't like museums that much, as it is not too big, easy to visit (a U like plan), extraordinary if you like Renaissance paintings ! I have to say that we had a good book from an art historian and it helps to be able to understand the paintings and be really involved.

But of course it depends if your parents are really into art. Don't get there if it is only a "must do" but if you are not really interested.