We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best take away pizza?

huntingdon
5 posts
Save Topic
Best take away pizza?

We´re going to Rome soon and have heard for lunch it´s a good idea to just get a take away slice of pizza and eat it outside- does anyone have any recommendations on where to get the best pizza or any other good places for lunch?

Thanks!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best take away pizza?

A place I like a lot is right next to the Pantheon.

If you're facing the front of the Pantheon, walk down the street on your left, towards the rear of the Pantheon. There's are small pizzeria about halfway down the street. Popular with locals as well as tourists, and they are almost always open.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best take away pizza?

If you visit the Vatican and get out around noon, you should try "Pizzarium" on via meloria 43 (very close to the metro station "cipro"). The best pizza al taglio in town.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best take away pizza?

I like Pizza Za`za, in Piazza san Eustachio, just behind the Pantheon (follow the street right of the pantheon, as you face it). Their pizza is all natural and delicious, so you'll see a crowd of people there around lunch time.

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best take away pizza?

Now, this is a question I love! Great one indeeeed!!

Why? Because it is actually true that here in Rome we have a good tradition regarding pizza al taglio (pizza by the cut). You enter in this small shops (or in a food shop also or market) and buy directly a cut of pizza (rectangular normally). that's what kids do when going to school. that's what many italians do. We like eat pizza standing up, same as with gelato. It's practical, it's good. I was susprised I never found such stores abroad, that sell pizza by the cut.

Back to the question, the best "take away pizza shop" I have tried in Rome is near the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, in the portion of street "Via Merulana" that is between Via dello Stauto and Via di San Vito (the exact address should be Via Merulana n.29 or 31, more or less). If you come from the church along via Merulana it's on your left. The owner showed me the award he received a few years ago in a national competition. I used to go to a Language Centre nearby and that's how I ran into the place.

Remember, what makes the real difference is not the toppings, but the quality of the pasta that the pizza is made of. For that matter, you can also try "pizza bianca" (white one, no toppings) or "pizza al rosmarino" (a mediterranean herb), to fully enjoy the flavour of the pizza. Other pizzas I like are those with tomato % origano (yet another herb) and pizza with potatoes. But you may try any of the tastes they offer, of course.

For more choice, here's a link (in italian) that might help:

06blog.it/post/1611/le-migliori-pizzerie-al-…

5. Re: Best take away pizza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 05:30