We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia crisis

Toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia crisis

We are travelling with Alitalia on Sept. 3, arriving in Rome.

Those are flying with Alitalia in the next 3-4 days please consider sharing your experience on TA. Just a sentence or two would be invaluable.

Your comments on service at the gate before take-off, in flight services (seating, food etc), and, importantly, baggage retrieval on arrival--all this would be very important and gratefully read.If very experienced Alitalia-ites feel our concern is unjustified--your encouragement would also be most welcome.

TA is a wonderful website--and real time monitoring would make it even better.

(As some of you may guess, calling Alitalia is not very helpful.)

Thank you!

Best Seller
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,966 reviews
from US$75.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
528 reviews
from US$410.40*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,818 reviews
from US$123.10*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,606 reviews
from US$57.10*
US$63.40
NC
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia crisis

I don't have any experience to share, but I wonder what exactly your concerns are? Have you heard or experienced something to prompt you to post this?

I am traveling with them in about a month, so I will be interested to hear as well.

NC
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia crisis

Sorry, should have kept reading. I see now the stories about Alitalia filing for bankruptcy.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia crisis

I mostly do everything I can to not fly on Alitalia. The disruptions caused by all their strikes is enough. The things I have read aboput the service and baggage from the past have ot inspired confidence either.

Besides you're stuck now. You shouldn't worry. There is nothing you can do about it now except go with the flow.

It will be a while before all this bankruptcy thing catches up with Alitalia anyway. Disruptions will probably start with the various unions going on strike (again) becaseu of the new labor contract terms and layoffs.

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia crisis

Alitalia is associated with Delta. They recently filed for bankruptcy but the flights went on and a relative who works for them kept his job. No disrupt ions then.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
493 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia crisis

hello all:

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2219…

Good luck!!!

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia crisis

Latest news is that on Monday there will be further talks with the unions regarding the new plans to move ahead.

That in my opinion does not hold great hopes but we won't go into what Italian Unions are like and what they are made up off!!

It has also been said that without an agreement with the unions, the new company will not take off----pun intended!!

For now it seems like a group of industrialists will aim to save the dying bird from the ashes.

10% Roberto Colaninno Piaggio and Immsi Group

10% Benetton Group

10% Intesa San Paolo

3% Ligresti Group

Gruppo Toto owner of Air One who will also be involved.

There are others who still have not declared their quotes.

Air France is also likely to take a small part of the new company which will be called Compagnia Aerea Italiana.

The commission is headed by Augusto Fantozzi.

So basically we will have a national carrier with 2 of its key players being Fantozzi and Toto!!!

For those of you who don't know they are the surnames of 2 of Italy's most famous commedians!!

I rest my case.

Good Luck to all of you with flights in the near future.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia crisis

I took Alitalia 18 months ago. The flight was ok. The tvs in front of you have alot of movies, shows and games, but when the person in front of you puts their seat back, the angle makes it harder to see the picture clearly.

The food was ok, somewhat edible. There is free wine and the coffee with breakfast is very good. The service is not friendly or great, but not bad. No one comes around from dinner until breakfast, but they leave water, soda and wine in the galley for all to take during the flight.

They don't clean up the cabin either during the flight or really at the end, so the plane looks a mess when you get to the destination. I wonder if the stewards and stewardess's are responsible for this or someone else does it when the plane lands.

In Italy, to get back on the plane they didn't call you on the plane by row. It was one big free for all.

Overall, the flight was not unpleasant and was ok. I am leaving in 3 weeks and decided not to use this airline again.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia crisis

Alitalia hasn't yet filed for bankruptcy, and perhaps they will manage to avoid it. In the short term, there's no need to worry, as they got a loan from the government which was supposed to carry them through the year, although I recently heard that it might not quite stretch to the end of December.

Aside from the financial difficulties, Alitalia is much like any other airline. It's not my favorite, but it's by no means the worst, either. Baggage problems generally are the fault of the airport, not the airline. I haven't had any unusual delays with my Alitalia flights, nor any other particular problems. I've never had luggage problems in Rome, but I've had misplaced luggage several times at Milan's Malpensa airport.

I don't know if the new business plan will work; it's a bit of a crackpot idea: Divide the company into two parts, one of which is profitable and one of which is losing money even faster than the present company. Sell the profitable part to private investors and stick the taxpayers with the unprofitable part. Find some other job for the 7000 unnecessary employees. I seem to remember that the profitable part didn't include the transport of passengers, so I don't know what will happen to that part of the company.

There was a letter the other day in La Repubblica from a man who said his business was faltering. He wanted to sell the profitable part to his partner and give the unprofitable part to the government; then he would be an unnecessary employee and hoped they would give him a job at the post office.

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia crisis

BV Are you sure they have not filed for bankrupcy?

Is that not what the outcome of Fridays meeting at Palazzo Chigi was all about on Friday evening?

The are now going ahead with a commission until they can get union agreement and support for the new plans.

You are right that it is a crackpot idea but I suppose that is where Fantozzi and Toto come into play!!!

This afternoon sees the start of the talks between the commission and the unions.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia crisis

They came close to bankruptcy just before that emergency loan was made, and this reorganization is supposed to avoid bankruptcy. They still have enough money for a few more months. I think its ironic that they're entering into new talks with Air France. I thought that idea was anathema to all red blooded Italians? At least that's what Berlusconi maintained during the election campaign.