We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather During December

Kuwait
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Weather During December

Any idea about the weather in Italy during December???

what shall I bring?

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
82 Reviews
from US$529.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,287 Reviews
from US$73.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,187 Reviews
from US$57.70*
Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Weather During December

Layers. Shirt or tee shirt, sweater, cardigan or a jacket..rain coat. scarf and a hat. Umbrella

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Weather During December

Depends exactly where you go! In Sicily, you dont need much and the weather would some how resemble the gulf pensinsula, but up in in the Alps the situation is different.

Rome has mild climate, December is not cold here, it rarely if ever freezes, probably the temperatures will stay above 10 degrees celsius, but then, every year has its own story. A jacket would probably do, a coat and scarf would be a "back-up" choice (sort of insurance against unexpected cold). A raincoat is advised also, just in case.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,429 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Weather During December

December Rome

You can tell what the weather is like from the plants and what the people are wearing

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Via sacra by the Roman Forum Dec 2006. See the tree still have leaves. Another clue are the two palm trees in the pictures.

Appian Way outside of Rome Dec 2006

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,429 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Weather During December

This is the picture of the Roman Forum in Dec with the palm trees

cyprus
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Weather During December

HI

I spent two weeks in Rome (26 December'07 to 16 January'08)

Temperature was changing from +10 to 0 (warming by lunch time and getting colder by 6pm)

Warm sweaters and coat or better winter jacket (easy to hold - if weather changed during the day to warmer) will do... Make sure you got warm and comfortable shoes if you planned to walk a lot...As for example:all Roman streets are covered with stone no asphalt...

Rained just two last days but not heavilly. Couple evenings it was light snow which melt before ground was reached.

but try to not forget your umbrella ... to buy one on street will cost you around 10 eur... and it might survive only a day :)

Generally weather is soft for a winter... and

you always can buy there anything required.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Weather During December

Thanks nicosia:

Your list and mine are the same.

You cannot decide what to pack from photos. Some summers in Italy it is over 100 degrees F and some summers you need a sweater in the evening..in fact may times in the morning.

Winters are the same. Just depends of the conditions.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,429 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Weather During December

Winter coat has different meanings to different people. maybe in warm climates what the people in the Rome photos are wearing might at a stretch be called a winter coat.

I would not even bring what I consider a winter coat, becasue it would be way too heavy and I would sweat to death wearing it. I leave my winter coat in the Great Frozen Northland when I vist Italy in Dec and Feb. I wear my raincoat with the removable liner (with the liner removed). it can rain a fair amount in Italy Nov-March. If I get cold I put on a cardigan becaseu I wear a short sleeved teeshrt under the raincoat. In Rome the restaurants and the Museums are heated to levels that I feel are way too warm for comfort in anything but a teeshirt.

Kuwait
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
8. Re: Weather During December

Many thankx to all of you :)))

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Weather During December

Lupaling,

thanks for sharing your nice pictures with us!

To all tourists I suggest visiting the Musei Capitolini, it is an emotionally intense experience for the art lovers and for humanity at large!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,429 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Weather During December

I love both Museu Capitolini and the Roma National Museum at Palazzo Massimo alle terme. These are my 2 favorite musuems in rome. I have been to both more than once.

last time I was at the Capitoline Museum they had made big improvements in display and signage. There were also restoring some of the statues in full view of the visitors.