We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

I have a somewhat similar situation. I'll be flying into Fiumicino on United tomorrow morning. I arrive at 8:50 (en'sha Allah) a.m. and then have a flight to Torino which leaves at 12:45. So, over 3 hours...great!

Main question is...I will have two quite large suitcases (will be staying almost 3 months) and am wondering how to negotiate getting luggage, then is there customs?, and then getting to Terminal A to check in to an AirOne flight. I understand there is some sort of shuttle between terminals? Or is it walkable? How can I get my two big, heavy suitcases from "here to there".

Appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,639 reviews
from US$74.33*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,016 reviews
from US$60.93*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from US$402.12*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,438 reviews
from US$146.96*
US$163.29
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

Will your airline not tag your suitcases to your final destination? We have found that to be the case when we travel.

jhgrady

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for
Level Contributor
713 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

i'm not quite sure what you mean by "quite large", but we do have trollies at fiumicino.....

you can easily walk from terminal C to terminal A in about 7-8 minutes (just did it this morning).

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

Unlike in the US, you do not have to pick up your luggage at your first airport after an international flight. Your luggage should be checked through to Torino, except under very unusual circumstances.

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

My flight from Denver to Rome is on UAL miles and the ticket on AirOne was bought separately through Expedia so I don't think United will check my bags through to Torino. However, if I can walk from one terminal to another with a luggage cart that will be fine. Thanks for the info...anything else to think about in the connection. Do I have to go through immigration and customs?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

I think the key thing you need to do when checking into your flight from Denver(?) to Rome is to tell the United folks that you are connecting in Rome to the AirOne flight and ask (cajole, beg) that they check your luggage all the way through. And, then pray that it connects in Rome. We had a similar issue several years ago flying United to London and connecting there for a flight to Rome -- the key for us was that there was at least 3 hours between the two flight.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

Relax and make it easy for yourself. When you check in for your Rome flight tell the reservation agent to send your luggage on to your final destination. They do it all the time.

What bother collecting luggage to just have to get back in along line to re check it? Cart or not. This is a waste of time.

All airports have lines for people who are going on to a final destination. You can either walk or take the shuttle bus to your Domestic Terminal

You go through passport control in Rome. Sending the bags on to your final destination you dont have to bother with customs.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,656 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

If you are not continuing on the same airline and you are flying in direct from the USA then you will pass through Customs at you first landing inside the EU. I presume that will be Fiumicino.

The flight from Fiumicino to Torino is an internal flight so you will not go though Customs again - at least that was the normal practice but things can change rapidly in this terrorist afflicted time.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

I don't think there's any shuttle bus at Fiumicino. Terminals A and C are really in the same building and very near each other.

Robert: I've never had to collect luggage at my first destination in Europe, even if I had two different airlines. However, I always bought the tickets at the same time. Even so, bags can be checked through even if the tickets were bought separately, as long as the check-in desk at the first departure point is willing to do it; it's more work for them and some airlines won't do it.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

Two concerns I have when I read your message. I've fly often and unless your two carriers "code-share" you're at their mercy as far as sending your luggage to your final destination. Also complicating this is that you have two separate tickets. My experience doing this is you have to claim your luggage at FCO arrivals, go through Customs (luggage on a trolley), and then head down to Terminal A and re-check your bags on AirOne. I would definitely call United NOW and see if they can forward your luggage - don't wait till you get to the airport.

Next problem... you have 2 "BIG" suitcases. Have you read the luggage spec's on AirOne service? I flew them last year and their weight limits, although not as strict as Ryanair, are far different than an international carrier. You may be faced with some huge charges - I'd contact Expedia or better yet, AirOne, and clarify what their weight limits are. As far as they are concerned, because you're on a separate ticket you are flying a domestic flight and international weight rules do not apply.

Years ago we did this same thing on Volare Air out of Venice to Orly and when we re-checked our HUGE American suitcases they told me I would have to pay €7 for every kilo we were over. It came to about €300 in fees! My tickets were only €49 each!! After much debate I tried to buy a seat to put my luggage in - not allowed! I finally got frustrated and asked them where DHL was so I can overnight my bags! When all was said and done, we "negotiated" the fee down to €75 PAID IN CASH, directly to the supervisor - only in Italy!

So I'd check into these two issues. Two separate tickets with no code-sharing... with all the new charges airlines are adding, I'd want to know up front what my liability was!

Good Luck!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Negotiating connection in Fiumicino with heavy luggage

OOPS - when I say "international weights" I'm referring to US flagged carriers coming across to Europe. If you have a code-shared ticket the "across the pond" carrier's weight limits and rules apply throughout your connections. Unfortunately in this case it appears you do not have that linkage... I'd find out now!